1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt amount

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Freedom Dave, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Freedom Dave

Freedom Dave Member

How much salt would be needed for a 3.5 mile road on a property, there are hills and most parts are just wider than a 2 lane road. I thought it was about 800 lbs per mile but I was talking to the superintendent and he said the guy was putting 10 tonnes of salf per application last year.

Any help would be appreciated - I am stumped on this one.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Someone was getting rich or just lying\padding the bill.
  3. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

800 per acre 3.5x5000x20'wide/45000x800=6222 lbs of salt3.1 ton but how wide is the drive? 40' would be 6.2 and with it being hilly and curvy you may double the app rate 12.4 ton these are rough #s
  4. Freedom Dave

Freedom Dave Member

hmm - that was some pretty technical mathematics wow thank you. that is alot of salt, someone on here before said 1 mile is 800 lbs so I was thinking on that basis just over 2500 lbs so 1.25 tonnes - I don't know anymore but I trust your formula better. My backround is parking lots, gas starions and residential so I was very confused.

The people there like me as I came with good refferances and going to meet them on tuesday for a actual drive through.

Here is a link if your interested to google maps -- its the pardes shalom cemetary (letter b on the map - go to satalite view and you can see the size) If you want. http://maps.google.ca/maps?sourceid...halom&um=1&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il&start=0

thank you for your help
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  5. Freedom Dave

Freedom Dave Member

and Mark - ya thats what I said - they showed me there salt report from last year and it was 57 times and 400 tonnes. I went around 30 times to my other properties last year.
  6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You sure you read that it was 800lbs per mile or 800 per acre? Big difference in square footage between the two assuming it's a normal sized road.
  7. Freedom Dave

Freedom Dave Member

i will chedk the other thread I asked it on
  8. Freedom Dave

Freedom Dave Member

Camden, I actually didn't read it right, it said 600 - 800 lbs of salt per "lane" mile so I guess its all 2 lane roads so 1200 - 1600 lbs per road mile - so at 3.25 road mile than thats at most is like 5000 lbs totalling 2.5 tonnes