1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salesmen

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cookie, Oct 21, 2003.

1. cookie

cookie Member

I hate to be a pain - I possted a question about the X-blade a while ago, so thats what I decided to go with. My father and I got a large parking lot here in town (I'm guessing 5-6 acres). Well the salesman here for fisherwants to sell my father a 71/2 for my Bro' in law and the same for my 3/4 GM. My father only sees the 300 dollar savings on the difference on the 71/2 to the 8ft. Are there any benifits to this aside from the cost of the plows? What would the benifits to having the larger plow for my 3/4 ton? thanks-:help:

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

The only benefit would be you can plow 6 inches more per pass.Just throw a set of pro wings on the 7.5 plow and then you will have almost a 10 foot plow for about 200 more than the 7.5 plow

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Get the 8 ft,or even an 8.5.The extra width is well worth it.Makes it easier to clean up against rounded curbs without scrubbing the rear tires all the time.

You can also clean closer to cars and obstacles without having to get the truck so close to them.

Prowings are OK,but if you smack something hard enough they will bend\break a lot easier than a wider plow.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I agree. Why put a 7.5' on when the truck can take the 8' plow without any trouble? The extra 6" may not seem like much, but every pass you make is 6" wider and that adds much. So for every 2 passes you make, you cleared an extra foot over what the 7.5 would have done. You plan on using it to clear a big lot, so I would want the extra width, thats just my oppinion. Even if you do residential driveways, the 8' will be better and save you some time. The only time I can see the bigger plow not working in your favor is if someone has a real thin driveway or you cant fit between 2 houses that are real close together to get into the back area to plow. Dont laugh, lol, I know a guy who works for the town and they have 8' plows on their trucks, he wanted to take the truck home to plow his driveway and the 8' plow couldnt fit between his house and his neighbors house, haha. As stupid as that may sound, its true, I had to go over there and do it for him with my 7.5' plow. It was an extremely tight fit for me, but it makes it BARELY. Just something to think about, but if that isnt a concern for you, my oppinion is to go with the 8' plow hands down. Mike :)

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Go with the 8 - 8.5 blade If your doing big areas you will love it and like what was said you can get closer to cars with the blade rather than the truck.

6. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

YOUR NOT TALKING APPLES TO APPLES.

The 7.5 I don't belive is an HD model, smallest is 8' in that series. Check Fisher's website(link at top of plowsite homepage). The RD (7.5) series is a lighter duty plow, shorter (26 or 27" vs. 29"), three trip springs vs. four. Not designed for heavy commercial use, & if your plowing a lot that size with trucks (assuming your calculation are correct), that is definity heavy commercial use. Salesman probably has more 7.5 to move.
    On our K3500 SRW we run a 9' with wings(total just under 11'), durring lighter snowfalls, heavier we don't run the wings. I would hovever caution against setting up all trucks like this, last christmas day we had a good storm, with heavy snow & around 12-15". We open up all that needed to be opened(being Chrismas many commercial accounts were closed), let myself & guys spend day with family. Went out that evening at aroud 8, we had one lot that truck couldn't open up, didn't have enough weight to push blade in 9' position. I went over with V plow broke lot open (V mode two passes around bldg.), then was fine to clear lot. That was however only time that truck had a problem last season.
    Good luck it's alway a tough decision.