1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sales tax?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by larryjlk, Jan 29, 2004.

1. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

I'm sure you NY guys have a state sales tax you collect, well they
    want to collect snowplow sales tax in Ohio now. i guess my question is are you experiencing any real negative reactions from customers or is it accepted as just a way of life?:confused:

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Snow plowing is a service, therefore it is not taxable. At least that is the way it is in Indiana.

3. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

Snow plowing is taxable here in CT. Never had a problem of people paying it.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

it has gone over easier than i thought it would...mostly no complaints

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Just remember you are COLLECTING sales tax, not CHARGING sales tax. If a customer has a problem with you collecting sales tax(which you are required to do by law) take it up with the state. No sales tax on snow removal in our state though. But, I deal with these issues all the time in my automotive repair business.

6. computerguy

computerguy Member

Yep NJ Sales Tax

In NJ we have to collect sales tax on this type of service. It is similar to any form of landscaping that is also taxable.
    I haven't had much of a problem. Some people ask to pay cash ;) but I bill them weekly and tell them not to send cash through the mail. I prefer to be on the up and up. Never know when something is gonna happen and you need to justify/prove something.

7. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Indiana has taken the 1st step to charging for LABOR on certain jobs. This year it only includes tax on labor for the installation of an actual part installed. It is a gray area currently, but most businesses are questioning when to charge the tax..... My question ( sent to the state ) is.... If a LCO installs organic material...do we charge tax on the labor to install it. The reaction I get so far is AAHhhhhh I dont know :rolleyes:

8. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

We have had 7% GST(Goods and services tax) here in Canada for over 10 years now. Thats on top of 8% sales tax..........Really bites.

9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I checked this out with my accountant and they said in Ohio you have to charge sales tax if you earn over $5000.00 a year plowing....

Derek

10. yellowbird102

yellowbird102 Junior Member

The I understand it in Wi if you chg by the job no tax by the in is taxed not sure the gov knows what they are doing Yellowbird

11. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Gov Tax !!!

I think the gov should go _ _ _ k themselves, when our trucks need repair do they send us a check? (NOT) ..........!!! :realmad: