1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sales calls at 9 PM friday night...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoJob67, Aug 16, 2002.

1. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I just had to laugh.:D I made a sales call a few minute ago. A decision maker I was having a difficult time catching up with was finally available at 9 PM. Sometimes evenings are the time to call certain types of businesses to make your contacts. I already have 75 truck hours worth of plowing bids figured and ready to print out.

Last year I started my snow sales about the end of September and still came out well. I'm a little nervous because if too many bids are accepted, it is going to be a rat race for me in the winter! I could turn customers away, but I won't do that if I can get them serviced profitably.

Oh well, thank god I have a little experience (my third year of doing snow removal) and a whole world of experience to draw from between being a member of SIMA and Plowsite. If others didn't already have proven formulas for success they were willing to share with the rest of us, the plow jockeys might rule the road. :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Now all you need to hope for is some snow. sounds to me like youve got the market cornered in your neck of the woods. good luck in the upcoming season.

3. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope we can eventually reach our seasonal average for snowfall. I will do quite nicely if/when that materializes.;)

I WISH I had the market cornered. Many of my bids are going to price shoppers eventhough I do my best to sell my cusomers on quicker completion times and quality workmanship.

The cheapskates will listen to those conversations, too, if they think you might beat the last guys price of $5X.XX an hour. I tell customers that we are quite flexible in many ways. There are two ways in which we are NOT flexible. We will not lower our bid to earn your biz, and we won't plow for you if you don't let us make the determination when to plow AND salt. If you call me for service, somebodies hind end is going to be missing. We don't wait for customers to call as some do! We have the expertise to know when it is time to do our jobs and don't need a cheapskate to call us and tell us it is time to go to work. <--Another harsh reality I don't articulate to those lacking common sense.

There are lots of people in my market that think salting is optional, both contractors and property managers. I don't bid that work. Menard's is a perfect example. I love when a customer tells me they salt their own lot with "broken bags." Hell, they don't stock enough unbroken bags to salt a 5 acre lot properly. What would they spread it with, a 25 lb capacity plastic wheeled fertilizer spreader? I'm looking for customers who want a service upgrade, not a pricing downgrade!:rolleyes:

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Just got my first call for fall clean-up & plowing contract today.
    Yeah, it's a current mowing & last year plowing customer, but heck it's a start to the season. Gotta make completely new contracts this winter. Anyone with a flate rate residential contract I'd love to see yours, so I know get everything worded right & dont forget anything.