1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sagging front end - 2500 non HD Silverado

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by billymac, Jan 31, 2009.

1. billymac

billymac Junior Member

My 2000 Siverado 2500 is a not an HD version, not many of these 2500's out there, I have the 6.0 liter engine, the plow really pulls down the front end, I do not want to install Tiimbrens, really do not want to crank up the torsion bars, can I upgrade the Torsion bars. I do not use a ballast usually, it doesn't really help, the plow frame is constantly crashing into the pavement on simple bumps. Somewhere a few years ago I saw a list of many available torsion bars for the chevys, what are my options?

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I advise timbrens and ballast and a turn or 3 on the t-bars. I see you dont want to do any of that so you would be s.o.l. I take it this is most likely a MM1 8 footer?
  3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

If you want to have a plow on your truck, you need to take the necessary precautions. Ballast is a MUST. Not only will it help level your truck out, it will give you better traction as well. Also, I'm curious as to why you don't want to crank the T-bars? It will help substaintially with your plow frame hitting. Timbrens would be the icing on the cake for your whoes... All said and done, you could be all set for about $150. JMO
  4. antanddom

antanddom Member

I agree go with this answer
  5. topdj

topdj Senior Member

my 1500 07 NBS has the aluminum engine, and does not with the 2" leveler kit
    and a 700lb Hiniker 8' standard duty straight blade. thats with 300lb in the bed
    the motor is about 100lbs lighter then the cast iron block aluminum head one
  6. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

what size blade?
  7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You coud Buy a Dodge or a ford and install plow on a truck with a solid front axel. Then just driver your car....I mean 2500 do to lite duty work
  8. billymac

billymac Junior Member

Ok, Im lazy to put on ballast, I work for the railroad and took a train wheel and welded angle iron pockets for the forklift arms to pick up, boy is it a heavy wheel, over 500 pounds, so I dont do that too much.

Its an 8 foot HD MM1, if I crank up the torsion bars, wont I need to realign the truck. I set the torsion bars to the specs a few years ago called the Z axis measurement and have not touched it since. I figured if I crank it past the Z height I will wear out the tires. It seems even the HD 2500s sag a bit also, cool spark show on the highway when it hits, and boy to people behind me move out of the way, they dont know what the heck is going on.

Anybody got a 2500 non HD with a MM1 8' HD plow out there?

9. Turbodiesel

Well it's about time somebody put chevy owners in their place:jester:

nothing like a nosedive position
  10. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

yeah man didnt u hear GM made sure they nose dived with a plow on for aerodynamics and it looks mean while plowing
  11. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

chcav1218 has one but im pretty sure hes running timbrens
  12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Yep...I have the same truck with the same plow. I cranked the torsion bars a few turns, got it aligned and put about 800 or so lb in the bed. Proper ballast makes it feel like I got a different truck.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check to see which T-bars it's equipped with before doing anything. Some non HD's came with the "GL" series bars which are the same that most HD's were equipped with, so a T-bar upgrade wouldn't help you any there. And if that is indeed the case, turn them up, add the Timbrens, and have an alignment done and move on.
  14. Turbodiesel

All I do is hook up and go , no torsion helpers or any silly stuff.

Real trucks also dont have spark plugs.:jester:
  15. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yeh as Mike (Fisher_guy) said, i have the same truck. Timbrens, 4 Cranks on the t-bars, and 600 pounds of ballast helped me out a lot. And I didn't need to realigne after I did it, but we'll see how things are in teh spriung when I turn them down again
  16. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Keep your solution simple, crank up the torsion bars and add ballast. It also the weight of your 8 foot plow , ya shouldnt be running any more than a 7,5 on a 1/2 Tons
  17. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

its a 3/4 ton
  18. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I have a 2000 Silverado 2500 "non HD" ext cab SB with an 8.5' MM2 extremeV, and it squats the heck out of the truck. I installed Timbrens which helped some, the torsion bars were pretty well cranked when I got the truck as well... I think before next winter I am going to look into a torsion bar swap, maybe not to stronger ones but at least to new ones, I believe the existing ones have weakened over the years....
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your leaving a great deal on the table if you don't upgrade the T-bars. Find out what T-bars the truck is equipped with and go to a higher rated set. Your going to spend the time and money to change them anyway, doesn't makes sence to not upgrade at the same time.
  20. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

B&B, where do I look on the bars to find out what I have in there right now? The reason I think my bars are weak is that my truck seems to sit lower on the drivers side all the time, and with the plow picked up and travelling with it, over bumps etc, It feels like I have more suspension travel/bounce from the passenger side, versus the driver's side which feels more like it is sitting on the timbren most of the time.... does that make sense?? I think the driver's side bar is weaker than the passenger's side, even though the driver's side bar is maxed, and I have backed off on the passenger's side to try to compensate some...