1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sagging Chevy Front end Solution!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CGLC, Dec 12, 2006.

1. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

Has anyone tried this after market torsion key replacement? I talked to a shop that puts them in 1999 and beyond chevy/gmc trucks. The mechanic installed a set in his own truck, and it raised the front end up 3 inches. The benefits he claimed were that you never need to turn up your torsion bars and it is 100% safe for all front end and suspension parts. The down side is that I own a 1998. Does anyone know if they make a kit for 1998 model trucks?
  2. Dragonscapes

Dragonscapes Junior Member

Yes I've heard of that and I've heard some people say it was 100% safe and good and other say it was stupid and dangerous basically what your doing is replacing your 3/4-1ton key with a 1/2 ton key it does have the benefit of jacking up your front end but it will put more strain on your front end components. Several of the people that I have met that have done this have ended up replacing their Torsion bars after a year or so since they for some reason tend to break when you do this and carry a plow. It could just be bad torsion bars or people are really beating the snot out of their trucks but I'm not going to watch someone drive a truck for a year to find out which it is. Also as far as I know it will work on all the 88+ 4x4 trucks you can go to your local GM dealer and get a set of green (think they are the green ones) keys from them for a bit less then the kits in general.
  3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Don't do it.
    I have a set ford keys in my old truck for the same purpose.
    But when you lift your truck that high you start seriously changing the angles of the front drive shaft, and the CV joints on the front axles. Meaning your going to be Breaking many more drivetrain parts very quick.
    It sucks when your front drive shaft and Cv axles start binding and those's boots will be gone within a month.
    Trust me I have done it and been there.
    By time I fixed my issue's, it would have been much cheaper to buy a real and proven lift kit.
    Lift Kits are design to keep your drivetrain angles correct by dropping the front axle and the indexing the transfer case.

I do suggest you stay away from lift kits made by CST and there other names as many of my friends have used them and there customer service is beyond poor.
    They don't take phone calls and when you do get thru, they always tell you BS and never deliver, They'll get mad and hang up on you and leave you hanging.

TrailMaster, Superlifts and BDS are great companys to buy from and they have great support and real products that work right.
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

They won't raise the front end three inches, you can get 2 safely, but you still need to turn up the torsion bars. The only time you will break a torsion bar is if you max it out so the suspension has nowhere to go. The re-indexed keys basically allow you that adjustment before the torsion bars get strained. It is reasonably safe but not 100%, like any lift it will wear frontend components somewhat faster. As far a CV axle angles being compromised, what I've seen is the keys don't increase the angle very dramatically, whereas a 4 or 6 inch suspension lift, even with the dropped front axle results in a steeper angle, and they don't have a lot of problems, as long as you stay with a big name like someone else suggested. I looked into keys and read up on them a lot last year, was going to do them but since I am really limited with tire choices on a dually, and I don't want to raise my trailer hitch or my plow frame any, I talked myself out of it. If you go to FSC.com (fullsize Chevy), go to offroad section and near the top there is a sticky with a step by step installation guide complete with photos. All the info you could ever want. Also check ebay motors, I've seen a few different kits on there.
  5. Detroitdan

I just found a link to the FSC guide, but since I have toruble sometimes with them I'll just tell you where to find it. In this forum there is a thread called warning for torsion bars, page 3 post #53 by diehard has the link. If you choose to read all the posts like I just did, be cautious because many people there don't know what the heck they are talking about.
  6. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I love being referenced... :) cool .. .
  7. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

Thanks for everyone who responded. I guess if you think about it the plow is only on the truck a fraction part of the year and i have air cells in the front so too me it is not worth the risk of damaging the front end. It is more of a cosmetic need then practical plus i am from Mn and it hasn't even snowed yet and it is almost Christmas!
  8. PTLandscapeCO.

PTLandscapeCO. Junior Member

anyone know where io can get a set of these keys in the chicagoland area
  9. Detroitdan

Try either Chicagoland Torsion Bar Keys-and-More store, or eBay Motors. Let's see, who else carries them...did you try Torsion Bar Key-Mart? Hmmm...Everything For a Buck, except torsion bar keys?
    Victoria's Suspension?
    Cherry, Webb and Torsion?

I'm really struggling here.

JK! JK!
  10. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

What are air cells ? My tahoe aint like the old tahoe,,She is having her front end pushed down hard with a plow..The old one was fairly unaffected :)

Tips for getting the front end to support my load better ? ? ?
  11. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Chicagoland Keys

Just go to the local Chevy dealer and get a list of all the Bars available for your truck. Also get the info on what the bar is made for, 1/2, 3/4, 1ton. You will probably find that your bar is, depending on vehicle, located within a certain range of available options. You can step up a level or three lvl's, so to speak, to gain what you need. I checked into this last month and my local chevy dealer was quoting about $250 per or for the set, Sorry can't remember exactly if it was per bar or not, but I know that it was cheaper than the truck mags. Also you can look into junk yards but chances are that if your truck is older, than trying to find the correct number on worn tags are going to be hard. Thus, I have the 98 Z71 package and the mine was rated in the middle, just before you get to 1 ton range, but I decided to stick with what I have and I also plan on getting a newer truck in the next year or so.
  12. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

13. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Is that a spam post ? What am i to find at that site ? I really dont see what the point of that link was,,I am dense ya but what is in there to help support the front of my truck with the plow mounted ? ? ?
  14. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

That company sells the new keys, don't you think?
  15. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

No i dont think so.Look at the site,not only is it cluttered,but from the looks of it a bit narrow in what it does sell.If it sold keys which it may that link he posted shold have carried me to the keys. Sorry but self promotion is not the answer I was asking for :(

Anyway I had of all places my buddies dealer set me up,He set the torsion bars and aligned the truck,my front end is level with back end and with the plow it drops an acceptable amount,If i add ballast to the rear of 250lbs I should be in great shape to face the snow if it ever falls again in western NY :drinkup:
  16. beungood

beungood Member

Good option

I installed the keys first and it levelled off my truck. The only rub here is it eats up your wheel travel a little and maxes you shocks out. A 5'8" spacer oon top of the shocks take care of this. I also installed a Cognito levelling kit which gives you redsigned (from a GM engineer)upper control Arms that give you back wheel travel , greaseable ball joints and reposition the shocks. Ride was better than when I bought the truck new. I can carry my plow and not really even notice it that muc. It's been on my truck for a year and I have no problems and the front end parts all look good and ride great.
  17. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

why not just crank the tbars a few turns and add timbrens?

someone is a little paranoid
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  18. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Ya ok,,maybe i just would enjoy a helpfulll link not a link to a site that looks like it is his own side line business..If i wanted that I could turn off spam guard ...... Funny he never replied after my comment,,maybe he is the one with paranoia
  19. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Try kwikset.com the have plunty of keys.:D

20. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

:rolleyes: I think that was good! Must be a NH thing..