1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saftey Vest

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flykelley, Nov 17, 2006.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    Do any of you make your guys wear the orange saftey vest when they are outside the truck? Im am thinking about making this happen this year. Any pros or cons for those who already are doing this?

Regards Mike

2. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

It is a good idea especially given the visibility conditions we work in. My only advice would be to make sure you get the cloth or material kind and not the plastic mesh ones, This may just be my opinion but the plastic ones get in the way and are irritating (almost to the point of distraction) and that is at the best of times. In the cold weather they get even worse as they tend to get harder and more rigid.

IMHO

Hope that helps.

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I think they are a good idea but don't put too much trust in them to keep you safe. Many people are still just not paying attention and could care less what you are wearing when they hit you.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I thought OSHA requires that you to ware them if you are out of your vehicle and working...

I like the lime green ones when out in a snowstorm they seem to glow.....

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

In the past I have bought Hi-vis type rain gear because it solves two problems. Visibility and comfort. Most of my laborers are Latin and don't have much if any good winter clothing so I buy the raingear and they can wear whatever they want underneath and the rain gear helps to keep them comfortable in the snow and wind and visible as well.

6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

In most states i do believe its now law you wear a saftey vest.

7. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Galls has some nice high visibility Jackets. # JA006 or JA011. You could split the cost with your drivers.

I wear a coat and love it.

8. J29

J29 Senior Member

Vests

Good idea, but dont get too over-confident, the vest wont stop the car. Usually they're not looking at you, but the truck and the flashing lights trying to figure out whats going on. Some think that because they are wearing the vest, they automatically assume people will see them. Also, I know some states, like RI, now require lime green vests instead of the old orange vests when on a public roadway. And for any of you tow drivers out there in RI, I have been told that they soon will be requiring traffic cones and arrow sticks if you will be blocking a lane of travel while providing roadside assistance. Just my two cents. J.

9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  11. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

We use the safety green, it shows up really well. Each of our trucks have them and the guys MUST wear them.

12. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

That's the best thing to do is wear those vests...and in some states it is a requirement
    for anybody working in or near the roadway...cover thy butt is first rule..but you might as well cover all of ya..some drivers really don't care out there.

13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

im so used to wearing one on the side of the road towing i almost feel naked without one in situations out of the truck