1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Safety Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sailscall01, Nov 14, 2005.

1. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

This will be my first season plowing and I have seen other plowers with safety lights attached to the top of their trucks. My question is, what do you guys prefer strobe blinking lights or the rotating lights.. What else could you recommend for a new guy when it comes to being seen at night.. Thanks for all your help in advance.:salute:
  2. Rotator

I have a rotator and i love it.... here are a few things I know...Strobe draw less power, but refect off the snow crystals and arent very bright during the day. Rotators draw more power, and can make goofy noises if they are magnetically mounted to the roof. Mine is permanentally mounted and very bright. It is a federal signal highlighter. they are about $110 and sold many places on the net.
  3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'm more of a strobe man myself, with Hide-A-Way strobes in the corner lenses of the truck's head and taillight assemblies. Strobes are faster, draw less power, and are much better looking, IMO.
  4. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I'm with Antee
  5. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I prefer the way the rotators throw the light. You don't have to see the truck to see the light.
    That being said the hideaway strobes are fantastic, but they're expensive compared to a roof top strobe or rotator.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

For plowing it just my opinion that a single or dual rotator is plenty of warning. I actualy prefer rotators for plowing. Seem to do better in the flying snow and I like how they light up backs of buildings ect so going around a bling corner you still have a little pre warning. They do suck more juice ect. They also arnt hidden and dont look as cool. I dont like how strobes tend to bounce off flying snow. JMO I also like my stuff mounted to a headach rack and not the cab in case ou go under a branch ect you arnt ripping you paint up if you take out your light.
  7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

you know im starting to think not haveing any warning light's would be better. almost seems like every car in the lot comes to check out all the prety light's once i turn my strobes on.

anyway , a small amber flashing or rotator light on top is about all you need.
  8. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Ive got a strobe style light that was given to me. For me it gets in the way of visibility in the dark because it reflects off the plowing area like it would a dance floor. So I only use it when Im at the part of the driveway near the road. A rotating style light would give smoother light transitions. Whenever this plowing season gets underway, Ill probably go pluck one off something in the junkyard.