1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Safety or Ego

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by DJ Contracting, Nov 22, 2010.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have been a member for quite some time now and still can't get over how many lights people put on their trucks, maybe its just me but I think some people have a big ego's and need all the lights to satisfy their ego's. Some of these trucks can out light any real emergency vehicle, and all they are doing is clearing snow. Well start the flaming I have big b**** and shoulders.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

you have to light up the night :nod:

i rather be seen than be hit
  3. DJ Contracting

Yeah well I have run rotators all these years and haven't even been close to being hit, I need to be careful not to hit anybody is my problem.
  4. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Some people collect coins, others collect stamps. I like to collect shiny lights :)

90% of the time they aren't running at the same time, each has their purpose. For the most part my mini bar is all I need.
  5. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

To each there own I guess , whatever gets me outta the house
  6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Same here!
    I've used my hideways for plowing a few times. Such as an aparment complex and it's busy.
    But I use them When parked on the side of a busy road at night or during storm clean up and I also use my rotator.
  7. DJ Contracting

192 people looked and only 6 replies...well 7 now.
  8. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

As a retired firefighter I LOVE lots of lights. (sirens and air horns as well) Right now I have none on my new truck, just not sure what I want on it since there are so many choices out there. Most likely a lightbar and hideaways in the tail lights and the mirror mod for my new F350.:laughing:
  9. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

4 corner strobes is enough for me
  10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok Ill jump in, I have 6 hideaway strobes in the headlights and tailights. I have a mini LED bar on top. I use the hideways when Im plowing my lots on a major north/south road in the township. Also use them at Burger King if Im plowing and they are open. People are dumb they just keep on driving and getting in your way when your plowing. Hopefully all of the lights have helped stop a accident in the past. They were real helpfully when I was in a contruction zone on I-75 on July fourth 2 years ago, had a flat tire and no where to pull off because they were using the shoulder as a lane. Thought for sure the truck was going to get hit in the rear. Turned on every light I had, got the heck out of that truck and stood well off to the side with mt yellow saftey vest on and called the State Police asked for a car to sit behind me and asked for a Tow Truck so the truck could get towed off the expressway to a safe place to change the tire.

Regards Mike
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  11. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

More than 2 rotators and / or 4 hideways is all ego. You know what they say though, "Power corrupts and absolute power - is kind of neat!" BTW, I have 4 rotators, 4 wig-wags and 6 LEDs. That makes me, um, never mind.
  12. DJ Contracting

Now that was funny
  13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its not my thing but it beats buying crack right? I think its a trend. The trend is more single truck outfits, they can afford to spend 2k on lights for one truck. I hated buying 2 strobes for our skid and front loader, luckily a member on here gave me a good price.
  14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Years ago when I started out doing driveways I used nothing. Then I got a truck with a fixed mount rotator and it was so bright I only used it if it was daytime or I was in a lot with traffic.

When I started all commercial I used a good Whelan (sp) Fixed strobe and found I still needed my 4 way flashers. In 05 I got my 1st corner strobe set and only used em when in live traffic as they bothered me with the reflection off the plow.

This year my route will include some roadway and a couple of 24 hour McDonald's. It is in those places I want to be seen. So on my new truck I have the Novax1100 LED in the corners, a top 2 way rotator and 2 LED's on the back corners of the v-box.

It is all in what the need is to me. But I have no problem with the guys that have 200 lights going. As long as it is not the same lot I am doing. Otherwise I say who cares we all have our addictions to toys of some sort. :drinkup:
  15. DJ Contracting

That's true my addictions are flash lights it seams I can't find one bright enough.
  16. DJ Contracting

Ok now I'm bored but I was just thinking that alot of these trucks have more lights than the secret service vehicles I'm just saying...
  17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I couldn't agree with you more.

I am all for saftey. My guys wear reflective vests and have every light working properly every time a truck or machine starts working.

But there is a point where you need to lay off the juice. I had a guy that plowed with me once, that I told him if he didn't shut some of those lights off, he was going home. I don't know how you guys can stand all those lights bouncing off of your plow and buildings. It drives me nuts. Gives me a headache.

I run a rotator on top and I have hide-a-ways, but commonly only run the rear hide-a-ways as the fronts just bounce off everything and piss me off. I will turn them on when we are plowing streets though. I guess it all depends on how busy of an area you are plowing in... and how stupid the people are in that area. :eek:
  18. DJ Contracting

I can see the four corners, top light and extra back-up lights, but all the ones in the grill front and back Windows and side windows ally lights are just too much.
  19. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

My favorite is guys who are running all the lights at 2am in a parking lot with no one in it. I do like some lights but I agree that some time enough is enough.
  20. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I agree some guys run to many lights, I started yrs ago with only a small rotating bubble. Then bought a code3 MX7000 5 rotators, sweeps, takedowns and alleys, all I used was amber sweeps and maybe the center amber rotator. Did the job but since I've changed my bar to a mx7000 strobe bar with 8 strobes, 1 amber rotator, amber sweeps and alleys. And a 90 watt whelen hide away kit(4corners) like most have said middle of the night usually only top strobes or hide aways, but during a daily clean up when people are around I use what ever I think I need to keep everyone safe. I also use a back up alarm during the day.

Not to mention my old truck can't handle running all of my lights at once while using the plow and Salter, heat, wipers, head lights ect.