1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Safety chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greatlawns, Dec 21, 2006.

1. greatlawns

greatlawns Junior Member
    from NJ

Does anyone double up on the main ram chain or have a safety chain mounted anywhere to the front of their plow, just incase the chain between the ram and plow base breaks while you are driving down the road? I imagine it would suck to have your plow slam to the ground at 40mph. A friend of mine said to hook a chain to the side of the plow frame (drill a hole or something) and connect it to the bottom near the blade. I would think that would cause a problem with side to side angling though. My plow is a Western unimount. Any suggestions?
  2. snyps

snyps Senior Member

Thats why western went to 2 chains. I hated the unimounts when the chain broke. I got into the habit of replacing them every year to be safe and carry a chair repair kit so I can put it back together if needed.
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I would think the weld or fastener would break before the chain I have never seen a chain break, even on my Uni-mount. Seem to me that the chains are pretty thick unless of coarse you take yours off and set it the salt bin for the summer. but to replace a chain every year that seems a little paranoid to me.
  4. snyps

snyps Senior Member

The plow I used to run was a 9 or a 10 ft western, I forget but it was a heavy beast. It was stored outside all summer long and salt did build up on it during the winter. Since it was one of 8 plows that we were running it was just easier to buy a long length of chain and replace them each year. It was cheap to do, and only took a few min's.

On my ultramount this is the 3 year with the same chains, I am not as worried since their are two of them.