1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Safety Alert

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by CARDOCTOR, Aug 20, 2007.

1. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

over the last few weeks ive had 3 ford trucks with rotted rear spring shackles
    what looked like peeling paint was actually the shackle rotting away
    were not talking about plow trucks either. one was a spotless 96 f150 2wd
    the spring was struck against the underside of the bed.

JR

2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

wow thew major where hauling anything . at one time iat the shop we had a camp truck that kids beat and the leafs punch'd the hole thur the bed then they failed :dizzy:

3. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

got a 96 f150 w same problem....havnt spent the 55.00 for the part yet...they arent to bad to change,thoe

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The shackle rot has been a problem on the Ford's for a long time..I know I've replaced my fair share of them.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

truck rot

this is a bad problem with ford f150 2wd's and rangers i don't know if it is the finish or the lack of any new from the factory ,but you can thank mother nature and your city fathers for the liberal usage of salt and especially calcium chloride on the streets .i think the finish is better on the replacement parts.god knows ford keeps us plenty busy in the spring shop i work in,just did a ranger today. we keep plenty of them in stock.if it weren't for fords we would not have any thing to do ! i know dont get nasty !

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Nothing lasts forever I guess. Thats way I spray Fluid Film under my truck every year.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just went out and looked at mine. The drivers side is almost GONE! Your right about the "look's like paint" I started poking it with a screw driver and it all flaked away and there it is. All cracked and rusted almost through! Time to fire up the torch!