1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Safe or not?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by palmer570, Jan 29, 2011.

1. palmer570

palmer570 Member

I was trying to figure out the best way to lift and hold my plow if it dies and I need to get it home. The holes I put the anchor shackle in were already on the plow. Just wondering how safe it is to lift from the back of the blade, or should I lift it from the A-frame where the lift chains attach?

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

looks like you got it 100%

pulled up. and safty chained just in cause the comealong breaks.

you be just fine like that.

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

drive it in to a snow pile and short chain it

4. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

definatly safety chain it also better to be safe

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

This is what that extra length of chain is for at the rear there. Get the blade up in the air by jacking it, driving into a snowbank or whatever and the take up the slack in the extra chain length and you're good to go.

6. palmer570

palmer570 Member

I can't just short chain it though because the chain is through a loop at the lift arm and U bolted to the A frame. So I put this together to chain it after I raise it. Two grab hooks on each end of a foot long chain with a slip hook in the middle.

Picture 003.jpg

7. sweetk30

the chain on the truck left slid threw the headgear tab is a safty chain/transport chain.

its designed to do just what you want. transport or safty if the sytem goes down. drivei n to the pile of snow till blade goes up. then get out slide it in and drive away. holds the plow up.

your realy over thinking the idea .

8. palmer570

palmer570 Member

I have no where to put that extra chain though, no slot at the top just a loop that wont grab the chain. I could have just put a hook on that end I guess but I'll get enough use out of this in other applications and I had half the parts sitting around.

9. sweetk30

your chain on the left of the head gear. single chain NOT on the lift triangle.

its hanging from the slot tab on the truck left side of the head gear.

this is the safty chain or temp hold up transport chain that fisher designed just for this stuff. :dizzy:

edit : here ya go. this chain from you picture

mm1 sehp cut.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. palmer570

palmer570 Member

Haha I know what chain you are talking about.

I cannot take the slack out of they chains on the lift triangle because they are bolted to the a-frame.

I cannot use that chain on the lift triangle because there is no slot/tab for it to lock into just a 2" dia loop that the lift chain can slide through.

11. sweetk30

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

stop/clear your mind/reread the post's in here.

unless i have missed somthing in the 4-5 times i ever reread the posts. you just not getting it i think.

12. palmer570

palmer570 Member

Some pics to show you how its currently setup. Probably been modified at some point by a previous owner.

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

13. sweetk30

all your pics look correctly. for speedcaster or mm1 blade lift chain design.

we have all told you to lift the blade by driving it in to the snow pile or comealong you had or even a car jack. the use the chain in the pic i cut out of your pic and drop that chain in the slot at the tightest point and then drive it to were ever you need to go to fix it.

if i had my plow truck here at my house right now i would go take step by step pics . but i dont. and i dont know how to make it any simpler than that.

the safty chain has NOTHING to do with the lift chain or triangle. it should be all by its self. and thats why its safty or backup to the main system.

do me a favor pick up the plow then lift the chain off the slot and hold it up as high as it will go. then drop it in the slot at the tightest link . then drop the blade. i bet you it will hold the blade up.

i am not trying to be a a$$ here but this is so simple its not funny. or you just arnt posting the right pic yet to show the problem.

14. palmer570

palmer570 Member

LMFAO I think I get what you are saying now.

Just take the slack out and replace in the slot its in now?

I've seen other plows with the slot at the lift ram and thought thats what you meant. My bad man.

15. sweetk30

YES

we have a winner :laughing:

are you having one of those days or weeks ? :dizzy:

you got the safty on the 9th link now. if its safty held up to transport or hold up cause broken you will have it on more than the 9th link.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  16. palmer570

palmer570 Member

Haha one of those days. Thought I fried my controller but the previous owner just had a wire wrapped around a fuse plugged into a open slot. I must have pulled it out when checking how it was wired up because I have turn signal issues and never saw the wire with a fuse hanging off it... So after trouble shooting everything I finally found the fuse and fixed it. Now back trying to figure out the lights haha.

17. sweetk30

o.k have fun. :mechanic: