1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Safe mount mods?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Banksy, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Here is the mount I bought off Ebay. It's part # 7170-1, my truck is diesel, so Fisher calls for part # 7170-2. The mounts will slide right into place, but the two vertical braces hit the radiator. I'm sure that the #2 part moves these braces to clear the radiator. My question is.. Can I move these braces over or cut them down so they clear? Will that compromise the structural integrity at all? The braces I'm talking about are the two parallel ones that you have two views of.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Hey, thanks Crash.:drinkup: Those are very helpful. I can trim and weld just fine, so for $155, I think I can make them work. I need to order hardware from Fisher. Or I can tac weld handles onto grade 8 bolts. Fisher would be better though I think.

And from looking at the two pics, only difference I see is that one brace is trimmed down if not gone all together. I'll probably add some bracing anyway.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

After looking at all the schematics, it turns out that I have the 7170. The ebay description said 7170-1. So, it's going to be a little harder to fab this up. They all appear to be very similar just different upper bracing. This should be fun.:rolleyes:

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I know they also made a change in the location of a few holes on the mount for the diesels, might want to look at that also. If you have tow hooks you will have to remove those along with the extra brackets that they use with them. You will have to remove the 2 bolts at the top of the intercooler and have someone pull it up and away from the frame to get the bumper bolts out and back in, kind of a tight fit but doable with an extra hand.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ok, I'll check about the holes. My truck does not have tow hooks, so that's good. I'd really rather trade with someone or trade and small amount of cash for the right mounts.