1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saddle Tanks for V-Box's?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by allseasons87, Jan 13, 2013.

1. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Anyone have some pics/setups for saddle tanks for hitting your salt before hitting the spinner? And pics & setups would be appreciated!

2. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Very simple design..
    Tank >> in-line Filtrer >> 12V Pump >> nozzle/Tip
    I found if you have the room for a square or Mini leg tank its ALOTTT cheaper than the actual saddle tanks...

HEres a pic..
    I did a couple for other people.. We liked hitting the salt with liquid after the salt hit the spinner...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I couldn't find a saddle tank that would fit right plus they are expensive! I just used a 35 gallon poly tank, which I would replace with a 75 gallon or so next time, and put it in front of our v box, installed a 1.8 gallon (I think) pump from Dultmier, ran some 1/2" clear hose from Tractor Supply to a spray nozzle I drilled out where the salt comes off the conveyer. Works great! I would go through 35 gallons every 6 tons. I didn't hook ours up yet for some reason,lol. I did notice we used a bit less salt, on a big lot we do I bet we saved about 20% salt and it worked faster. Check some of my posts, I think I took pictures of it, if not I can text you some.

4. allseasons87

HEres a pic..
    I did a couple for other people.. We liked hitting the salt with liquid after the salt hit the spinner...

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Looks good, exactly what I'm looking to do. Did hitting the salt post spinner have any effect on your spread width or pattern?

5. Brian Young

Looks good, exactly what I'm looking to do. Did hitting the salt post spinner have any effect on your spread width or pattern?[/QUOTE]

I cant speak for his but ours is set up the same with zero effects on how far it threw it.

6. allseasons87

Do you remember a rough cost for the pump?

7. BigBoyPlowin

I cant speak for his but ours is set up the same with zero effects on how far it threw it.[/QUOTE]

For me, My Customer was having a problem with salt clumping when we had it spraying in the chute. While i never had any problems when they were on mine. But then again my customer had his bulk salt sitting outside uncovered so i think it was clumpy to begin with. My salt sits on the floor inside the shop so its never clumped... I kept my mouth closed and did what he asked because he pays well! haha!

Try it out yourself see what works! Dont cut your tubing off so short leave a little bit so you can try it both ways!

Also DO NOT ORDER A NORTHERN TOOL PUMP!!!!!! I think they call them northstar's..They are HORRIBLE and take way too long to prime.

I personally like the FIMCO 1 or 2 GPM pumps. They prime fast and last longer than one year! I found one on Ebay for $25 Which was a steal

8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone run #s on this to see the total cost savings over buying treated salt? I'm sure its cheaper but by how much? Obviously depends on region and availability of the product(s) but nonetheless..

I know a few local guys who run the same method with great results. Most treat after the spinner though

9. BigBoyPlowin

Havent run any real numbers but we made the switch when salt Skyrocketed in 2007?
    Now we are 98% LIQUID. Here are a few of my numbers.. Liquid is .20 a gallon delivered, 100-125 gallons equals 1 ton of Rock salt.. Depending on the storm, Lets just say its

125 gallons=1 ton of rock
    In liquid that just cost me about $22 bucks for one ton opposed to $65-69 a ton?
    So thats roughly a saving of $46 a ton!

Now if i was a big wig and could store 25,000 gallons of liquid at one i could be getting it for even less!
    We have one Tailgate 300# spreader. In the event that we need to do a FULL Rock or Combination 50/50 run we just borrow my buddy's truck.

Next year we will have a truck spraying and spreading rock all on one truck.. Cant wait.

10. allseasons87

Thanks for the number break down. I'm trying to spray and salt in one vehicle as well. Thanks for all the info guys!

11. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I can't repost the pictures but we have just setup an F550 to Salt, Prewet the salt and Spray directly on the ground. Ill be posting more pics of the prewetting system later this week as its now complete. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=141569

We get maximum discount on 8000 Gal which is a full 53' tractor trailer load. If you look around you can find some pretty cheap used tanks. We have 2 - 4500 gallon storage tanks.

Cheers

12. allseasons87

13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

That looks exactly like the SnowEx set-up.

14. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

What kind of liquid are you using?

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the post!

15. BigBoyPlowin

Woah woah guys! that IS the snowEx sprayer... not trying to claim it as mine! lol
    It mimics the concept that we used when building our sprayer.. I don't have any pics of our setup anymore of that location.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  16. BigBoyPlowin

Dug out one of our sprayers we used on our old dump truck to pre-wet... Then we retired it and converted it to a sidewalk sprayer that was mounted on a Small trailer pulled by an ATV.

We had 2 nozzles on this one.
    12V Fimco 2.1GPM Pump

photo (6).JPG

photo (7).JPG

17. allseasons87

Thanks for pulling that out and snapping a couple pics. How many gallon tank?

18. BigBoyPlowin

That tank is a 35 gallon tank.
    I find them on Craigslist..

19. Brian Young

The pump was around 200'ish maybe. With the 35 gallon leg tank I got from TSC, pump, hose, spray nozzles ( we have 2 mounted) one at the conveyer and the other right before it hits the spinner, some hose clamps and those rubber coated loop wire hangers we have just over 400 into it.