1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SAD STORY--Bought NEW!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ole Tower, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I have a contractor Freind that Bought a New GMC one ton 4X4 & a Plow--w/ a Problem--He couldn*t get into 4 wheel Drive He took it back--their Excuse? its COLD?--to Stiff?--He drove it up the Pike 75 MPH--came Back--still couldn*t get it 4X4 & everybody Tried!--NO GO!--He was Very UPSET!--as the New GMC Dealer gave HIM --{the Brush OFF}--now He was Really Depressed!--as its Brand NEW!--& under Warrantee?--I told HIM about a Mechanic that works at a small GMC Dealer some 35 miles South-- & I went HOME! a few days latter I saw Him w/ out His New Truck? & asked? where it was?-its at the Dealer You Suggested!--their looking into my Problem!--a few days latter!--Hows your Truck Comming?--He didn*t Know?--a few more days latter! whats going ON? w/ your New Truck?--well the Mechanic You suggested has taken it Appart--Hes found the Problem--the Aux trannys had the Wrong Barrings! in IT--& the Gear Ratio in the front End was Wrong--Well whats He Done to Correct It? Hes installed a NEW Aux tranny & a Complete New front END!--& It now Works Beautiful!--what did It Cost YOU?--NOTHING!--All under Warrantee!--& He Appoligized to ME for the Other Dealers screw UP! & He fixed serveral other minor Problems!--they NOW have a NEW Customer!--& Hes Ordered a NEW Tri Axle Dump from THEM--right down to exactally what He Wanted! Color-Interior-every thing! Delivery mext Month--& He was Garranteed 24/7 Service on BOTH-- On any Future Problems!--just CALL! & they will be There!--So the Point IS?--BIG Dealers just Don*t Care?--& Service is the All Important Thing!-- so If? Your in Central MANE Stay AWAY from O*CONNORS GMC--located in Portland & Augusta--as their HUGE Lot is FULL of New Trucks--but They wont Fix even NEW!--& when Any ONE? spends $50,000 Dollars! I would Think? they would Use a Customer a lot Better than THAT?--Dono?--OLe JIM--

2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Make sure he calls GMC directly to report the problem and lack of assistance from the dealer.

3. xxxreaper

xxxreaper Junior Member

Big dealers are like that. Ive heard about this! I was talking to a client of mine the other day who used to be a service manager for gm. He said they put the same gears that are in the rear end in the front as well, so when ppl put their truck in 4 wheel drive to plow the truck wouldnt move. The rear end and the front end were trying to go in oposite directions. Pretty sad, I dont think it matters what you buy anymore, Someone screwed it up!

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I can't even imagine how something like that could happen. All the axles are pre-assembled before they get to the truck assembly line, how hard would it be to check the labeling, plus I'm sure they have a certain method for keeping the different assemblies separate from each other. That's a mind-blowing mistake. How come it wouldn't just bind or try to go into 4wd?
    What is an aux trans?

5. wishin4snoww

wishin4snoww Junior Member
    from S.E. MI

God bless American made
    You'd think that would be on the check list before it left the plant but they probably laid that guy off, and he's probably plowing and cutting grass now

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

come - on. My leg feels like it's being pulled. Wrong bearings - doubt it. gear ratio maybe but, that's un heard of. I'd like to see that letter to GM and their response because if that was the case the regional rep would be involved too!

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

GMC's come with 2 transmissions now? Hot dang, I'm selling my Furds and buying GMC's so when my first tranny grenades I'll just use the auxiliary.

Did they check the muffler bearings while it was in too?

How about the blinker fluid?

8. xxxreaper

xxxreaper Junior Member

I got the impression from the guy that the transfer case did engage, But the front and rear end would just fight each other trying to go in oposite directions. Very sad!

9. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

WoW! what a s***y dealer!!!!

10. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Wow was that difficult to read. Sorry he had to deal with all the problems.

11. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

That is pretty rediculous. I dont know how you can say its too cold for the brand new four wheel drive to enguage.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Anybody remember this thread in the GM truck forums..http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=55501... This was exactly where my diagnosis was heading in this instance.

It actually can and has happened before, I've seen it in the flesh twice and heard about it a few times also. Not all were isolated to GM's...

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Come on'..... I'm not sure which of these applies the best ? Show me the letter to GM ... BWAhahahahahaha :D:dizzy:

pot.jpg

pothead.jpg

14. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

owww my eyes

15. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. Other then that Typical GM JUNK

16. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

what dealer did he end up going to, to have it fixed

17. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Mark
    Where is the reservoir for the blinker fluid? I've never topped mine off in the '96 since we got it :help::D

18. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

My dad had this happen on a Dodge Dakota, about the early 90's???

He put it in 4 wheel drive and it just lurched and bounced everywhere, wouldn't move.

Took it to the dealer and they had put a different (not the same, you want the same) gear ratio in the front end as the back end.

Front end had something like 4.10 or 3.73, the back end had 3.50, or whatever Dodge was putting in Dakota's then the early 90s.

Anyways, so when you actually got everything to line up right, and could put it IN 4 wheel drive, then obviously the front end was moving slower than the backend.

The dealer told him what happens is that at the production line, the parts will be moving along, and they'll switch to axles with a different gear ratio, but for whatever reason, the wrong axle is either bumped ahead, or lagging behind, depending on how you look at it.

I however don't believe the story about the dealer not helping. If my dealer didn't help, they'd have a truck with the keys locked in it blocking the entrance to the dealership on a Saturday, with a skidsteer on a trailer behind the truck.

19. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

MaY i AsK wHy YoU tYpE LIkE tHiS?!!!!

20. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

If I remember right, it may not be with Ole Tower himself, but either he, or someone on a different board, it's the software they're using, sends it that way.

I could be wrong, but I've seen it before.