1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sabre Light Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pabaker66, Dec 10, 2011.

1. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

Doesanyone hae a good fix for the mounting bolt on a Sabre light? The base is stripped out and the bolt won't tighten. therefore the light just flops around and won't stay aimed.

Anything????????

2. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

bump bump bump

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How does the bolt go into the light housing? is it a metal base type mount? Maybe a pic?

4. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

A few things:
    1. Try using your grinder and just cut a slit into the bottom of the bolt so you can use a flat head screwdriver to the hold the carriage bolt from turning
    2. If #1 does not work, you can use a "nut-cracker" to break the nut
    3. If #1 & 2 do not work, just get pissed, drop a few f-bombs and use your grinder to cut the nut and bolt off. Follow up by having to drill out the rivets for the bottom mounting plate, replace bolt, and rivet the plate back on and then pray it all works well.

Ask me how I know to complete #3.........

5. dieselss

Lmao !! That's the best explanation I have ever heard. Thanks that just made my night

6. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

I did 1 , 2 , and part of 3, but I torched my bolts off, snipped the bolt housing removed bolts put carriage bolts in place crimped bolt housing back over the carriage bolt and used lock nuts and washers to re-assemble.

Brian

7. dieselss

Don't forget the antiseeze and go a step farther, stainless steel hardware!!

8. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

Ditto on SS hardware.

Brian

9. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

welder.........

10. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

OK, I have the light off of he truck, (nut cracker worked) But when I take the back cover off of the light to drill the rivets out the inner workings of the light are glued inside of the housing covering 2 of the rivets. I am goint to try and weld the bolt in place today. Hopefully it don't melt the plastic.

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION

11. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

I drilled mine out from the exterior portion of the light straight threw. They have held so far but have yet to have a snow storm.....