1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Saber lights arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by blk90s13, Jan 29, 2009.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

every dam storm I have to change a bulb or two WTF ? the blade trips = bulbs go out

its $20 for a pair of H4 bulbs this days I tried to tighten the lights down but both blots spin free anyone got around this ?

they also get so dam foggy and misty on the inside I Wanna take them off and clean them they wont come off either did anyone open them at all ( besides the rear door to change the bulbs )

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

are the rubber bushings in the bolts between the light and frame??

they are a shock absorber. for some reason, a lot of people don't put them on, and the result is popped a bulb from impact shock .

3. blk90s13

yea the rubber spacers are there the lights are 2 years old and this problem started from day one and the dealer tells me its normal once you trip the blade the blubs go out

so if i work at night I should carry a box of bulbs right ? :rolleyes:

what bugs me is you cant un mount the dam things the bolts spin free either way right or left

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

my blade tripped yesterday a bunch of times and all my lights still work....

5. blk90s13

well let me put it in a different way the dealer said its normal to blow bulbs if your blade trip

6. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

Sounds kinda pointless to say that you should expect the bulbs to pop when the blade trips. I dont think that my blade trips too often when im plowing but i wouldnt notice until i had to replace the lights everytime i went out plowing. Im pretty sure that i would get pissed off pretty quick if i had to.

7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Check the bottom of your lenses, they break the adhesive bond from the black case and moisture seeps in and pops the bulbs. I typically open up the seam clean the old glue out and use 3m automotive panel bonding adhesive to reattach.

good luck

Jay

8. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Had this happen on both sets of Nite Sabres I've had. If you have to take a utility knife and go around the lens working it off the housing. Seperate clean old sealant off then reseal. The moisture flies around when you trip your blade and cold water and hot bulbs don't mix well.

9. blk90s13

I will try to open them over the weekend and see how it goes

thanks for your help all

10. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

In order to fix the spinning bolt problem, it requires a pair of needle nose vise grips and i believe a 3/4 wrench.First thing is to spray the bolts down with BP blaster or fluid film. I hold the very bottom of the bolt with the vise grips and then spin the wrench to break it free, when you get it loose you can put the vise grips above the bolt to help you thread it the rest of the way off, be car ful not to damage the threads to much. I have done this on several sets of plow lights this week and it worked every time. I even fixed a set for our county road department last night at a gas station.

11. tjctransport

just a thought. when you change the bulb, do you put the retainer wire clip in with the "points" towards the bulb??

i just changed out a set of bulbs for a guy down the street, and he had the retainers in backwards, letting the bulbs flop around in the sockets.

12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I agree on the water hitting the bulb theory. As to getting it out, why cant you try soaking it up with a towel through the bulb hole. Yes not easy, but neither is removing and replacing the lens. As to the spinning mount bolt you can also use a hack saw to make a slot, then use a screwdriver. (impact screw drivers work well for this, the type you hit with a hammer and it twists)
    SIDENOTE: well question really. What the heck are the modules for on a nitesaber. Obviously I don't run them, but just tired about being clueless about them.:dizzy:

13. tjctransport

the "modules" are relay boxes. they switch the lights from lower to upper by powering one low current wire from inside to cad to the modules mounted at the radiator support.. on the old setups, you had all the high current headlight wires running out from the switch under the dash to the lights.

14. Booman70

Booman70 Senior Member

He can dry it out through the bulb hole but if the seal has partially seperated it will get water in it again.