1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S850 Oversize Wheels Pictures and Video with 10- 16 plow.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by A Man, Feb 21, 2012.

1. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Here's our new Bobcat S850, few pictures and video. We tried to set it up to achieve maximum efficiency possible out of a skid steer. I'd love to hear any suggestions or comments on ways to improve it.

Here's some amateur video of our operator plowing a lumber yard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCdCAUS-clk

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

How can it get any better :rolleyes:

Maybe a bigger plow :D

3. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Looks Good!! at one point in the video is someone riding on top of the cab? Also why did you go with Machinability over say a Horst? I bought a 9-13 Horst and it is on one of my S300's and it seems good. Just curious

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

wow AMan.. thats nice.
    I like it alot.

what size are those tires?

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Looks great. I saw it in the skidsteer gallery too, but the video is better. Thumbs Up

6. A Man

A Man Senior Member

We have 4 Horst units and they have been good but they have there down falls. I don't like there trip system as much especially the linkage that comes into contact with the ground if the plow isn't placed on the ground level or the cutting edges have worn down. Horst also has a terrible paint process, they say they have improved it which I will be able to confirm in a year or two as we have 2 new horst units this year as well.

I also really like the Machinability chain lift system for the skid steers and Loaders. It helps keep the weight on the wheels of the machine and floats up and down really nicely. Machinability's design also allows for down pressure to be applied when back dragging or when needed to scrape up hard pack. I also like how clean and simple the back side of the plow is, it will be a breeze to repaint in a few years unlike horst which require sandblasting to get into all the nooks and cranny's.

Machinability's spring loaded wing cutting edges have also proven to work really well.

They're both good units, time will tell which one stands up better in the long run.

MidTown, Tires are 12r22.5 pretty much regular transport truck tires.

7. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

I like the "Snow Plow" on the snow plow. Neat Idea.

8. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

That thing is impressive. You had mentioned before that the 850 was as productive as your 244? I like skidsteers but honestly would prefer running loader, which one does your operators like? Thanks for the info on the Machinablity vs Horst plows, what is a ballpark on price(if you don't mind)? Do you work hourly, per push or seasonal with the 850, the reason I ask is when you mention a bobcat/skidsteer many people here don't view them as productive and wonder if you have come across that?

9. Triple L

from Canada

Me and Adam have talked about putting all 3 machines side by side and seeing what will happen, a 6430 tractor a 850 skid and a 244J or my 906H loader and seeing a true comparison... Altho all of them have their ideal properties where each will shine I think it would be very interesting to see...

10. A Man

A Man Senior Member

I don't run either of them personally and the operators don't switch between machines so I really couldn't say for sure. I know both operators enjoy running each of there respctive machines however I have to assume the loader would be more comfortable in the long run. The 850 with ride control is by far the most comfortable skid steer I have ever operated. The only hourly work we do is loading and hauling snow so I can't advise on hourly rates and wether your clients would be open to or accept equal rates between the machines. I can tell you that they are almost equal in production.
    As for pricing between Horst and machinability, machinability is about 10 points more depending on the hydro set up you opt for.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Thanks for posting the vid/info A-man! For snow work, I would have to say that is the "ultimate skid steer" ;)

12. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Thanks, local sales man did a good job ordering a gold package machine with me in mind, dropping it off at our yard for a week, causually showing up with some papers to sign along with a fat cheque and it was mine. We are very happy with it and plan on keeping it for a while. We have some summer work for it as well. I'll get some more video next event.

13. MIDTOWNPC

I like chads loader more then a tractor but being able to spin around makes the world of a difference to me
    You can or should only go so fast plowing anyways

I don't know the price of the skid but with blades all 1016 and appropriate harness
    We are talking 82k respectively correct ? I would think skid rings in less?

Im very impressed

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Question & Suggestion.

Question: Considering they are close in production, what is the price difference between the 244J & the 850?

Suggestion: In the next vid, get a shot of it windrowing in a more wide open area (in 2spd)...I think some people may not realize it, but in the vid it wasnt even in 2nd gear...which wouldnt have been necessary anyway (or am I wrong?).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  15. A Man

A Man Senior Member

In my experience it all depends on the type of properties you maintain, ability and experience of your operators and likely a few other factors.

Anything over 4 acres or long push's where you can't wing the snow the Tractor will out perform both the skid and loader dramatically.

Smaller stuff where stacking, pushing around corners, odd shaped properties the skid and loader will likely be equal to the tractor or possibly better.

MidTown, I'll have the check on the pricing as we bought a 6430 and the s850 this year. I should be able to tell you the exact difference keeping in mind that our 6430 is a base model machine and the 850 has every option available.

16. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Very observant, you are correct he was running in low gear. I'll do my best to get some higher speed video of the skid windrowing.

About 10-15k price difference between the two units depending on options.

17. Triple L

from Canada

I'll throw in a 906H is about 72 and see where the loader stands with the other 2 prices

I think the skids gonna come out ahead on this one haha

18. MIDTOWNPC

Plus a 10kplow but no harness like a tractor

19. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty accurate descriptions, thanks for the input.
    I own and have ran all three configurations, but my machine sizes are so different they wouldn't compare. SKids for tight areas, loaders to push and stack, and blowers to make the snow disappear so there are no piles; that's my philosophy.

While I've never been a big skid loader fan, that's a impressive set up and looks to do a good job clearing snow.

20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

StuveCorp, I don't know where "here" is for you, but in Madison and the surrounding communities skidsteers are the way snow gets done. Yes, loaders are used on the biggest lots, but almost every snow contractor has a skidsteer, even the startups. Anyone can get one, trailer it around, drive it, and so on. Same can't be said of loaders. Now this S850 is much closer to a loader in these aspects than your average skid because of it's size, weight and price. I guess I would say most people around my area view skids as very productive. Not trying to argue with you, could be different where you are.