1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S10/S15 Plow Q

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by derekbroerse, Nov 21, 2004.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

What is the biggest plow any of you have used on an S Truck?

Just picked up a loaded '90 ext cab 4x4 with 4.3/auto and was toying with the idea of putting a blade on it, if nothing else for backup purposes.

I am picking up a Northman plow for next to nothing. It is 7'-6" wide. Yes, I can cut it down if necessary but realistically if anyone has used a 7' blade on one of these trucks, what is the difference of three inches per side vs. the labour of cutting and rewelding?

Obviously I will need to fabricate a mounting setup for it, its currently made for a 73-87 style GM truck...

That is, unless someone within a reasonable distance happens to have one to fit the truck?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

There is not much meat in the front of that truck and every bit of weight saving would help with a smaller plow and it would push easier to in deeper snow. How about a 6ft 9 inch cut job as it would still be wider than truck at that width too.
  3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I know I'm quite a ways away but I have a Snoway 6'8" plow that would go great on that truck.

I have the blade, a-frame and hydraulics. I would let it go cheap if interested.

Just a thought,
    Mark K
  4. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

The truck with Timbrens from what I've read around could handle close to 500 pound blade max. So anything less than that should be fine given proper ballast and such. I know I personally run the 6'8" snoway Mt series on my truck and I really can't feel the weight that much. I prolly could have gone with the 7'6" and been fine but I'm happy with the plowing aspect of the truck. Also to mention that I have a 99 so the earlier models where supposed to have a little stronger setup up front from 93 and earlier. So goodluck with your decision! :salute:
  5. Bykerkyle

Bykerkyle Junior Member

grotecguy how much do u want for that plow, frame, and hydrolics?
  6. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I'd like to get $600. I watched one on ebay a while back go over $1300.

PM me if you want pics, I'll try to get some in the daylight.
    Mark K
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well I picked up the Northman plow and it is much heavier-duty than I expected (in person vs. the photos). Looks like a real commercial grade plow with heavier trip springs, beefy crossmembers, and a quick-attach setup. Aside from the paint and missing cylinders, its in good shape, so not a bad buy for $35!!! Figured I might revamp that one for my '79 K15 and cut down the Standard Duty Western I was going to use on it for my S15 instead. I'm thinking 6'-8 to 6'-10" as suggested above should do the trick. It will probably be getting a salter to from the looks of things.

No, I didn't take the photo! lol
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2006