1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S10 MD68 Issue

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by IceDraken, Dec 9, 2010.

1. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

Got the MD 68 installed on my 2002 S10 crew cab.

It has Daytime Running Lights and is a switched ground system. From what I can tell it is all hooked up properly, but the marker lights on the truck do not work since the plow was installed. By marker light, I mean the ones to the right or left of the headlight, not the ones below (they work properly). The marker lights on the plow frame work properly when the plow is hooked up.

Has anyone else ran into this and may be able to give me a little insight to a fix or possible problem to look into? I am trying my best to figure it out, but it is freezing out and I have to do it a little at a time. So far... both lights are not blown and all wiring is ran properly as indicated by the manual. My fingers are freezing and I am giving up for the night, but if anyone has a lead or has ran into this, please give me some help.

Thank you.

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

On an S-10 (which is switched ground) - the brown wires for the plow marker lights on the headlight adapters (16071150R) always go to ground.

Thus, the truck parking circuit isn't even touched. Double check that, and see if it fixes the problem.

Not sure how the truck parking lights would be disabled unless the fuse blew. Do they work normally when the plow is disconnected?

3. smuchow

smuchow Junior Member

We talked to an engineer at Snowdogg to determine that the brown wire had to go to ground. It wasn't in the installation manual. Mine worked fine once this was done. BTW, Snowdogg stepped up and got us in touch with one of their engineers to assist, very impressive.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

smoorman,
    Thank you for the information. The plow is disconnected now and that is how I am noticing it. With the plow hooked up, the turn signal / marker / park light works... on the plow assembly. I figured this was the light they tied into for the light on the plow assembly. I have checked my fuses and I pulled any that said clearance, or turn, or marker, or park... they were all good.

Smuchow,
    Thank you for the information as well, but may I ask which brown wire? So far the only ones I have found that do not appear to be hooked up is a single grey wire, which according to the instructions, is the proper set up for a switched ground vehicle. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of it???

5. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Take another look at the 16071150R instructions - everything is in there.
    http://www.snowdoggplows.com/ServiceManuals/16071150RINST_C.pdf

The brown wire being discussed is on the 16071150R adapters - per the instructions you connect to it a good ground. On a "standard" vehicle it would attach to the parking bulb circuit. This is the most common mistake on switched ground vehicles.

It's a common mistake because it's counter-intuitive - but it is how it works.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. smuchow

smuchow Junior Member

Originally the brown wire in question was spliced into the marker light circuit using a plastic splice as part of the plow installation. We pulled the brown wire out of that, and grounded it.

7. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

So this wire I am looking for will be ran down to towards the headlight wires? and possibly spliced in back there?

All I need to do than is take it out of the splice and properly ground it???

8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Yes, find the part/turn signal light, and follow the wires. You'll see a purple wire spliced into the turn signal wire, and I'm betting a brown wire spliced into the parking light wire. Remove that from the parking light wire and connect it to ground.

9. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

I am printing this out and taking it with me to the dealer tomorrow. I just picked it up installed on Wednesday.

Do you guys think it is unreasonable for me to believe this could be done in 15 minutes or so while I wait, and not another let the truck sit there for 3 days incident?