1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S10 Lights fixed... Now bottoming out problem.

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by IceDraken, Dec 12, 2010.

1. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

Went back to the place and had them pull my trucks lights out since they ran all these wires behind them... apparently something must have happened to blow both of the clearance lights at the same time.

But I talked to them about how the plow frame on the truck only leaves me 6" clearance to the ground while the plow is off... and only like 3-4" with the plow up. I know the truck is an 02, so the torsion bars could be sagging a bit. But they want to lift my truck 2 inches up front? Does this sound standard, or am I going to be putting a whole lot more wear and tear on everything and costing more in the end?

The truck is already lifted, before the plow install, 1.5" up front and 2" in the rear via a torsion bar adjustment and adding a leaf. I am afraid of adding an addition 2" lift up front even with the plow mount is going to cost me down the road and end up making the plowing harder on the truck.

Do you guys agree with going that route or should I push him harder to put on timbrens? The dealer said he is against them as they will diminish my ride quality I have on my s10.

Also, there is about 2" of extra metal hanging down from the plow mount.... My solution after reading quite a few sites that say going more than 1.75" of lift will tear up CV shafts and Ball joints on an S10, is to cut off that extra 2" to get to a nice 8" of clearance with the plow off, add a set of timbrens up front, and than maybe I'll have like 6-7" clearance with the plow on and raised. Does that sound better than a lift kit? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

Do you have the zr2 or just s10 and pic my ranger i added timbren on front it does help with the weight, turn t bars a little first or you can add new keys It does give a harsh ride.

3. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

I already did the T-Bars about an inch and a half raise.
    It is a regular S10, just the crew cab model with the ZR5 suspension. (Raised from the factory, but not a ZR2 suspension).

4. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

DiD you add ballast to the truck and do you have md 68 or 75.

5. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

I have the MD68.
    I had ballast in the back, 500lbs of sand bags, when I picked up the plow.
    The measurements I took in the original start of the thread were with the plow off and the ballast out.

I already cranked the TBar in the front before to raise the front end 1.5" and I added a leaf in the rear to add 2". The measurements from rim to fender are 11" in front and 12" in the rear... I may be off half an inch. If any of that helps.

6. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

Deleted double post.

7. ppap

ppap Junior Member

You have a few things going on here. 500lbs ballast is way too much for that truck when you factor in the weight of the plow, cargo and occupants. The suspension, diff and transmission were not made to carry that much weight for extended periods of time. Even if you adjust the suspension, the load exceeds capacity. Regarding the clearance issue, the plow frame can be adjusted to improve clearance but its never going to be adequate because of the small tires and low suspension. Aside from the Timbrens, how are they proposing to lift the front end? A lift kit is going to be expensive to buy and install.

I installed an MD68 on my '02 ZR2 and did a "slight" torsion bar tweak and added the timbrens to the front. I use about 200lbs of ballast and only plow my driveway. Since installing the plow, my truck has been demoted from daily driver to plowing and running short errands. Bottom line is that the S10 is not designed to carry a 400lbs plow. It took me a while to accept it. If you can, post a pic of your truck with the plow in the lifted position.

By the way, the Timbrens aren't really designed for our trucks. Check out the link below and you'll notice that they don't make full contact.

This link shows the frame position, lifted clearance and Timbrens.

http://new.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=93271

8. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

They are proposing a 2 inch lift via torsion bar keys to the front.
    If they go 2 inches in the front, I would want than 2 inches in the rear to keep the truck level.
    As I said before though, I've already gone 2 inches in back via add-a-leaf and and 1.5" in front via the same torsion bar tweak i am sure you did.

Thank you all for all the help. I am still trying to figure out how to fix this the best way.

P.S. - All my drives are short drives. I use the truck on the weekends the most to haul stuff around, tow small loads, haul my camper, and now to plow in the winter.
    During the Summer months, I drive a car that gets way better gas mileage.

9. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

This is the extra two inches I have hanging down... I see it isn't just me, but I do not sit as high as a zr2.

[​IMG]

See the extra holes under the mount... That's what I want cut off.... Or is that a bad thing?

I am bottoming out on the bottom of that mount frame, not hard enough to feel it, just enough to hear it and scrape some paint off of the mount.

10. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I can answer at least one of your questions. You CAN cut off any "extra" side plate hanging below the pushbar without causing any issues.

As far as your truck's carrying capacity goes, the plow selector will give you a recommended ballast that will NOT exceed the trucks capacities. What it can't do, however, is determine sag, etc. That varies way too much depending on the truck.

Nothing you can do will actually increase the front axle capacity, it's all just about ride comfort and ground clearance. I've never gotten a lot of feedback about S10's. I know that GM pickups are pretty soft.

But you can add 2" to your ground clearance without messing with the truck at all just by trimming the sideplates.

11. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

The trucks can carry weight in the back and i dont think he has the cab filled with passengers.Your bars might be going .And what do you mean by bottoming out?The plow frame is scraping ground with plow on or you hitting curbs when liffting snow over.Also check timbren site because i got wrong ones for my truck the first time on mine. And I wouldn"t cut anything till you figuire it out.IF YOU RAISE TRUCK YOU WILL HAVE TO DROP THE PLOW BRACKET DOWN.So plow stays as level as possible.Mine hangs down but never had problem bottoming out.

12. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

Only me in the cab... I'm 225 - 240 (been a while since I weighed myself). I should only be at about half to three quarter the load capacity of my front axle, if that with the plow on and me in the cab.

The bottom of that plow mount is scraping the ground without the plow while driving, such as pulling in and out of driveways and parking lots. Not hard enough to feel it, just enough to hear it scrape.

I know well enough not to try pulling into those same areas with the plow on. These area areas that I have to pull into on an angle in my car, the same angle on the truck sometimes bottoms out if I do not hit it right.

I tried to ask the plow guys that installed it to cut that off, they really do not want to for the "incase" I want to lift it more later on. So, it looks like their plan is to just raise me anyway. I do not think my torsion bars are about to go, they are weak from the years, but I still sit above stock height by 1.5 inches up front, and 2 inches in the rear. I will agree though that the front of my s10's spring rate is pretty soft, it was the reason I raised it with the torsion bar tweak in the first place, to add more pre-load, make it a little stiffer.

And snow dog recommends a "Min. Ballast: 1010". I do not think I should be putting a half ton of ballast in my truck bed... I read somewhere else here that a guy was using about 300-400, so when I went, I got 2 extra bags in case any broke or I needed to use em to get unstuck from anywhere. But I did have all 500 on when I picked up the plow.

13. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

14. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

I think the second one would work better because its angled toward frame to sit better.

15. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

Well, I am supposed to get a call today. My distributor is getting me torsion keys and he is going to try to use them to add and inch to the stock height... figuring that the stock bars are sagging an inch.

I can add timbrens / airlift's version, if I only have a slight lift of between 1 to 2 inches? To help keep me up once I pick the plow up?

Thank you all for all the input here.