1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S10 Crew Cab getting MD68

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by IceDraken, Nov 23, 2010.

1. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

Hey guys,

I been on here researching a bit, and finally took the plunge to get a snowdogg md68 on my 2002 S10. I have beefed it up a little bit to be able to haul and tow, and now hopefully plow... but I read on their site that they recommend a minimum ballast of 1,010lbs. I only have like a 55 inch or so bed. How would I accomplish 1,010lbs safely? And if I don't need that crazy much weight, how much should I be using? (Can an s10's bed even support that!?!)

2. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I'm using the constuction sand in 70lb tubes from local hardware store. I have a mountaineer with an MD75 and I have 210 lbs in back now and it seems to help level out the suspension.. Doubt you need near what your saying. I may add one more 70 lber... Also going to tweak the suspension a bit up front...

3. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

I was thinking maybe 300 to 400 lbs in the bed using sand in containers... I figured the plow is 375lbs (from the website's specs), so I figured I would put as close to that in the bed behind the rear axle to try to level out the load.

4. If you don't need to use the bed during the winter I usually get a load of 3/4" stone from my local landscape yard. The stone costs about $20/ton and I put 1/2 a ton in my 3500 dually with a dump bed. It is much easier for me to remove the stone obviously by dumping the bed but the cost is minimal and i lay it out flat so that I can still use the bed.

5. ppap

ppap Junior Member

I have an MD68 on my 2002 ZR2. I filled 5 five-gallon pails (the orange buckets from Home depot) with sand and snapped on the lids. This way I can easily carry them by their handles and don't have to worry about ripping them open. I secure them to the rear of the bed.

I had to get timbrens for the front. The 400lbs plow is a bit much for our front ends. If you can, post a pic of your truck with the plow raised.

This is my second year with the MD and I'm very satisfied with its performance and cost.

6. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

I asked the plow guy about timbrens, he said i shouldn't need them and that he was going to adjust the front end.

I get the plow on the 3rd of December (they are installing it).

I also researched how to accomplish the 1,010 minimum ballast... I think 18 or so 60lb tube sand bags should help... but i need to figure out how I am going to fit all that ballast in my itty bitty crew cabs bed haha.

I will take pics as soon as I get it home here.

Snowed a bit here in PA on turkey day, the snow was taunting me for not having a plow yet!

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The ballast recommendation for your application is incorrect on their website. You DO NOT require 1000 lbs of ballast. 300 is plenty.

8. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

That truck wold be unsafe with 1000 lbs in the back. You will break everything.

9. IceDraken

IceDraken Junior Member

Took everyone's advice.

Went to Home Depot and they didn't have tube sand, but they had "QuickCrete" Sand in 50lb bags. I got 10 of them and they fit amazingly well. They make a perfect layer across the entire bed. 500lbs ballast, so I have some to use if I get stuck and need to use it.