1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S10 4x4 & other small 4x4 can they handle it?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FiNaL, Sep 5, 2005.

1. FiNaL

FiNaL Junior Member
    from OHIO

S10 4x4 & other small 4x4's can they handle it?

I was just wondering i am looking to get a small 4x4 for snow plowing and wanted to know who all uses a small truck like a S10 for plowing? i plan on doing 10-20 driveways. 1 or 2 car garage driveways Nothing More! I was just wondering how well do S10's hold up? Out of the big 3 dodge, chevy, ford which small trucks do the best at plowing? Whats a good year to start with? Man. or Auto trans which is better? thanks for any input you guys can give

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  2. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

You would be better off buying a nice snowblower and carrying it around in that S10. Even then you might get stuck. Sorry, but it is not a very practical idea and you would be asking for trouble. Also, there is a big difference between 10 and 20 driveways per/storm. At the very least I would buy a Chevy work-truck stripped with a plow-at a minimum...hope this helps.
    g

3. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

S-10's are excellent for plowing smaller driveways. We do over 200 residential walks/driveways and send out 7 crews with snowblowers and 3 s-10's to supplement those crews, especially with the larger driveways. The s-10's perform excellently. Must be 4x4 and I recommend the shorter wheelbase of the standard cabs.

Good luck!

4. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

:salute: I run a 99 GMC Sonoma (GMC version of S10) with the ZR2 package. I have a 6'8" Snoway MT series on the truck with Timbrens. The truck has held very well to three years of plowing including 40 residential's and a commercial account. Granted you risk beating up on the trucks but if you take your time and plow with the storm these trucks work just fine. Just don't try to get to many more driveways. I think I found the limit at about 40 driveways without having to many repairs, as I know the ball bearings are starting to go at 70,000 miles as well as perhaps some engine issues. Just use Judgment on what your applications will be. If your going to purchase the smaller truck simply on the basis of Gas prices alone, then your better off getting a full size half ton with a plow prep package like GM offers on there 2005 and up models. I currently get 14 MPG in City and that is with a 4.3L V6, I run the truck hard for work, and granted the ZR2 package with the 31" tires and heavier frame do cause quite a bit of that gas loss.

Of course that is only one example. But Just consider how long your going to be plowing, what the life expectancy you expect from the plow and truck and make your decision only have thinking about all options. (hehe as if you wouldn't anyways)

5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

why not check out an older jeep.
    they are tough as nails cheap and can hold a plow. not to mention being so damn small they can get into just about anywhere.

6. westwind

westwind Member

These are perfect! Downside, no place to carry salt and sand.

7. FiNaL

FiNaL Junior Member
    from OHIO

Yeah a Jeep i would look into.
    I am just starting out and i really don't look to get more than 10 customers if that because i am just going to try and do my mowing customers driveways and thats about it.
    So i really want something small yet that can handle plowing. i just really wanna get out there this winter learn the skill and trade and get some hours on the wheel. So i would look into a Jeep. WHats a good year to start with? I like older Suv's and trucks because i was told they are built stronger i have a 92 dodge D150 and its a really strong running truck. What kind of plow can i put on one? If i was to get a used one whats a ball park figured a used plow for a jeep go for? What about a Jimmy are they any good? or Blazer?

8. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Talk about reliable and tough as nails ...an early '90's Toyota short bed w/auto.

9. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Been running toyotas since 1991 with 500 pound western 6 1/2 footers, ballasted to the hilt, and never a problem. All have been 4 banger sticks, both regular and x-cabs. Slow and reliable. Unbeatable tiny trucks.
    Consistent 20-22 mpg.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  10. 69oiler

69oiler Junior Member

i had an '89 Jeep Wrangler automatic six cylinder with a 7 foot Meyers plow on it. it was an awesome plow rig. turning radius was great. the plow did sag the front end though.

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the S-10's can handle a plow very easily. The most unproductive thing you could do is drive around with a snowblower in the back, dont really understand why it was suggested. Do a search here on S-10s there are some pics, some people have used them in the past and been happy with performance. There was even a guy who runs 8' Snoways on S-10s in Vermont, not going to find much harder plowing then that.

I would personally look into a Blizzard 720 LT or Fisher LD 6'9" or even the Fisher LD 7'6".

Out of the big three that you mentioned, its hard to say, S-10s are fine, you will find less people using Rangers and a few using Dakotas. It does not really matter, they will all handle a small plow, depends on which you perfer.

Jeeps are great too. But if you dont alredy have a vehicle, I would also consider a 1/2 ton, any of the big three.

As far as used plows go, be careful, not all but many are unreliable and its difficult and can cost some $$$$$$$ to piece togather something to work with your truck. You may find the right plow but your truck needs a different mount or wiring. Then you need to find someone to install it, more $$$. Iam not trying to say you need a brand new plow, but sometimes its best for reliability purposes. Same goes for the truck, dont buy a junker, you will end up regreting it.

12. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

up until last night i ran a blizzard 720LT on my 1996 s10 PU 5spd man tranny nd loved it...i did 15 driveways and one small parkin 14car lot and one 40 car parkin lot and it was good but got into a little fender bender last night...total the old s10 but the plow will be on my moms trailblazer until i get a bigger truck then the plow will sit at our mtn house....but id go with a snoway prob will be my next plow or the blizzard was awesome but i think that down pressure system snoway came out wiht is so cool.....

but youll be fine...