1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

?'s about the Blizzard plows

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by jdw1, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jdw1

jdw1 Junior Member

First off i am not trying to start any trouble!

You can tell by my sig i have an old plow (12 years). I have been plowing since 1982.

I went in the local Blizzard dealer in the twin citys today to look at new plows. Talked to one of the owners for about an hour, got all the info and was considering a new plow. I did mention to him about the comments I have heard about high maintaince, he said not any more than others. Ok, didn't really answer the question.

On the way out the door walking back to my truck, i was looking at a new truck in the lot with new PP on it, a customer walking behind me says "don't buy a blizzard", I said why not, he says "very high maintance", he says "I just spend a 1'000.00 bucks on more parts" the key word to me was "MORE". He continued to tell me he had 6 Blizzards and never again. I relize he had drivers in all his trucks but this is what i have heard before.

So my question is, is this all true or am i just hearing all the bad, or do you have to be extra carefull with these Blizzard's, I can see the advantage of the PP plow, but i have not spent a dime on my old Diamond since day one other than change fluid and one cyclinder. i am not looking the hear about how much faster you can plow a lot, i can see that just by looking at the plow.

Thanks in advance.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

They have additional moving parts compared to regular straight blades, probably 2-3x the amount of parts actually. That in and of itself means that those parts will wear out etc...

I don't feel that I spend any more ($ or time) on PM for my 810 than I did for my old Western Pro Plow, although Blizzard parts do tend to cost more, but that may simply be my market. I'll never go back to a straight blade either.
  3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You have to be extra careful. 4.5 years with 8611lp and no fixy( knock on wood ) other than truckside wiring harness got pinched when raising the plow once. I'm very careful when around curbs with the wings out. No ramming into piles with the plow angled. Just a few things. You want to make some time plowing? These are the plows.
  4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I don't feel that I am any more careful with the Blizzard than i was with my Western with pro-wings. I am not "hard" on my equipment, but I expect it to hold up to my expectations and be able to keep up with all of my other equipment. In my opinion, these plows are capable of doing that; especially when out in front of a 10-12K# truck.
  5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Two related questions? Are you a plow jockey or an operator? Do you run back to your dealer for every little thing, or do you have some knowledge of your equipment and ability to troubleshoot in the field? If your answer is the first, buy a straight blade from any xyz plow manufacturer and hope for the best.

More parts, more productivity, more need for preventative maint. and service for those working parts.

Blizzard's are well built, but not without areas to improve, that's where aftermarket improvement comes in.
  6. mercmn91

mercmn91 Junior Member

I have a Blizzard 8' straight blade for plowing my own driveway(800 feet and clearing by the house and garages) Bought in 04 and no problems yet. I really like that plow!
  7. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

This storm a wing on my 8611LP crapped out on me. I was still able to use it in straight blade mode. All I can say is you really don't know what you are missing until it is gone. Not having 1 wing made me crazy. Once the storm was over I got the prob diagnosed the wiring harness got sucked into the power steering pump so I can't say it was the plow.

I would suggest however if you do purchase a 810 or a 8611LP 2 things are a must. Graphite curb runners because the wing cutting edges where out pretty quickly and at $300 a set that is expensive. Purchase the curb runners for $300 a set and your edge will last 4-5 times as long. The other thing I would suggest is the foil. For obvious reasons. I have to 8611LP's, one with and without a foil and the foil is a big help.

Like others have said they are not any more maintenance then other plows. For the the tremendous amount of production you get out of it outweighs the time spent on maintenance.
  8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

You mean Carbide curb runners, Matt!
  9. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I can't help but chime in as a current 810PP owner and also a fellow MN resident.

Forget Stonebrooke, go directly to Truck Utilities, buy a Leo, and have them fab you some manually removable wings. I don't work for TU or have any monetary interest in them, but I've owned many a Leo and have been plowing for 15 years. Hands down they are the lowest maintenance, most reliable plow available to you here in MN. Every time I see a Leo going down the road while I have my Blizzard hanging on the front, I feel a little embarrassment and shame.

That said, the Blizzard has cut my plowing time down considerably, and subsequently added it to my maintenance time.
  10. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Sorry.....U R right Duh!:rolleyes: