1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

?'s about bidding on a condo complex

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Mower For Less, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Hi all,

My buddy just bought a condo near me, and as an owner was privy to all of the amounts the association spent on lawn care, and snow removal. This gives me an edge for submitting a bid, but my problem is that it seems the lawn care portion is profitable, but the snow removal seems like it is way too low. I just wanted to know from some of you guys who have bid condo's before, do you typically bid them on a per push price, or on a per season price? The only way I can see the price is if it was per push (we didnt have much snow last year). Just racking my brains trying to figure out how these other guys can be fair on the lawn part, but so low on the snow part.

Its a 120 unit complex, and the bid was about $11,000 for snow, and salt for the whole year. The place is so big, it takes the current guy 2 days to complete it. One day for drives and roads, and one for sidewalks.

I guess I am asking on how you guys bid condo's, tips and tricks? Maybe there is something I am missing, but no way could I do a seasonal for that!

Kevin

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Because condos, apartment complexes, etc. are such a pain in the a$$, I will only bid them by the hour. Don't take the job if it is not profitable. There is usually plenty of other more profitable jobs to go after.

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I agree with JMR. To make it work, you really need a skid steer/backhoe/loader to place the snow. Condos are a nightmare and I would never do them. Then you have people who want you to wait while they move their cars, shovel around their cars, etc. Not worth it, unless you can command a premium. I wouldn't try to make it up on the lawn side either, just in case they put that out to bid again in the spring.

Tight areas, no place to put snow, etc.