1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S.A.M. Snowplow Oil Hydraulic Fluid

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by herb1001, Jan 29, 2011.

1. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

Can you use S.A.M. Snowplow Oil Hydraulic Fluid in a BOSS plow. It only lists Fisher, Meyer and Western on the bottle?

Thanks

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You can but that stuff is like water. 2 guys I know have that stuff in their ebling back blades and it has gummed up on them and stopped their operations. I would go get the OEM fluid, or my boss uses advanced auto DEX lll/M auto tranny fluid. I run the true boss fluid. Not the gray bottle "boss" fluid.

3. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

isnt that stuff blue? boss fluid should be red id use oem or tranny fluid!

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I have run the SAM in my boss for two years now and have had no problems at all, I also run it in my dump flat bed and have no problems ether, both work better in the cold. JMO

5. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

If I was going to use anything other them oem fluid I would use Amsoil syn. atf.

6. palmer570

palmer570 Member

A local Boss dealer says they use that SAM for all their fluild changes on any make plow that comes in for servicing.

7. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

B&B states they are both the one and the same, just different bottles/labels.

8. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Bring this back, anyone else? Whats the price, I hear its cheaper...

9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

For the SAM oil I pay about $5 a bottle.

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

all the boss plows are just hydraulic pumps, same oil the dump trailers take and dump bodies, hydraulics on machines etc.. Only difference is its not like molassas on a cold day when plowing.

I think people put too much time into the "right" fluid.. most hydraulic machines these days are using synth motor oil now.. I know JD stuff is like that, it doesnt have to do anything but get pumped and be pressurized, lubricate and not break down with heat.

11. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I've used the SAM now for 6 years and have not had problems. I change it right before the plowing season.

12. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i have never met anyone that has had problems with the sam fluid. its always someones friends bosses daughters one night stand baby daddys uncles adopted parents dogs previous owners breeders employee that has had problems...

13. NickT

NickT Senior Member

...Nieces, nephews of my 2nd cousin twice removed