1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S.A.M. parts can be dangerous

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Megunticook, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

Just a warning--I run a thoroughly restored and meticulously maintained Fisher belt-drive system, and when changing the inline filter on the low-pressure return line from the valve body to the pump I used a S.A.M. filter. Big mistake that almost cost me my whole rig.

The filter does not allow sufficient flow, so that when I lowered the blade (collapsing the lift cylinder) the return line became over pressurized and blew the filter right off the hose (it was tightly clamped). Figuring the first filter was defective, I put another identical filter in. Same thing. Happened 4 separate times, dumping ATF all over the place. The last time some fluid hit the hot exhaust manifold and flashed, causing a serious fire in the engine compartment. Fortunately I was able to put it out quickly.

I put a Fisher filter in after that. Wrote a letter to the CEO of the company in Ohio that owns S.A.M., warning him to look into the problem and to reimburse me for the expense and hassle that resulted from the fire (minor damage to the engine that I was able to repair myself).

So be warned--S.A.M. apparently has some serious quality control issues, use their parts at your own risk!

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Thanks for the tip.

Can you post pics of your rig ? Early 70's dodge, I assume ?Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

SAM\Buyers build junk?

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Im going to say 90s Ford

Learned my lesson a few years back. Bought a simple u bolt that goes on the A
    frame to hold the chain for a Fisher . Went to put it on and barely tightened it and the nut stripped out .:angry:

5. Megunticook

from Maine

'73 Dodge W100. I'll see if I can post some pictures when I get a minute.

6. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for the heads-up.

7. Megunticook

from Maine

Dogplow asked for a pic of the rig:
    [​IMG]

Here's the letter I wrote to the CEO of S.A.M.'s parent company. Be curious to see how (or if) he responds.

8. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

No kidding....

9. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Good letter. Good job itemizing your expenses from it, too.
    I hope it gets some serious attention from them.

10. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

best of luck with the letter. and good for others to know.

you aren't the first person to use aftermarket parts and have a problem. it happens everyday. you may be reimbursed for the cost of the filters (even that is kind of a long shot), but you will not get squat for any other collateral damage, your time, and most certainly not your fuel to drive to the parts store. while you were at it, you should have asked for the cost of the pizza to be reimbursed!

honestly i think all you get it out of this is a lesson to stick with those same oem filters that have served you well all these years.

11. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with the op there parts are junk I've had 3 selenoids that were junk this year, the last one lasted 5 min then caused the pump to run all the time.

12. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

He did. $36.78

13. Megunticook

from Maine

Damn right the pizza's in there! Yeah, it's a long shot, and I have no expectations, but if this guy has any integrity he just might respond. If the company is selling a lot of junk--and I gather they are--then he probably doesn't give a sh&% and I won't hear a thing.

But it's still worth telling them exactly what you think.

14. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

ha! i missed the pizza cost! damn - a $36 pizza? what the heck was on it??????

keep us posted.

15. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

That must've been lobster pizza! Lol

16. Megunticook

from Maine

2 large flatbread pizzas from a local joint. We gave up on Domino's years ago, would rather pay a little extra for quality. Kind of like what I should've done with the damn filter!

I expect if I hear back from Mark it will this week. I'll post his reply if I get one.

The retailer was great, they reimbursed me immediately.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  17. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck with this. Let us know how it turns out. Glad you and the truck survived.

18. Megunticook

from Maine

Update: guy from Buyers Products called tonight (not Saltzman), apologized, said "we're going to take care of you," asked the make, year, and model of the truck (??), and asked me to ship the filters back to him for testing. I told him I'd be glad to (on their dime), gave him a few more details (like the fact that as soon as I put the OEM filter in, the problem went away), and asked if they had any response to my request for reimbursement. He said he wanted to look at the filters first and "take care of everything all at once." I took that to mean they want to leave themselves an out ("filters tested fine, must've been your truck"), but I give them credit for 1) getting back to me promptly and 2) showing genuine concern to fix the problem before the same thing happens to someone else.

So I'll ship the filters back tomorrow and we'll see what happens. Will keep you posted.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

More than I have received from anyone at Meyer\Swenson.

20. Megunticook

from Maine

You're not going to believe this, but. . .

The guy from Buyers Products says they're sending a check. What's odd, though, is first he said he tested the filters and concluded that they were fine and the problem must be the hoses. Here's what he said:

And I replied:

He had no answer to this but said he was sending a check anyway.
    I replied:

He then asked specs. on the lift cylinder. I am really curious what the results of an accurate test would be. Dollars to donuts he'll get a massive pressure spike because the filter won't flow the fluid fast enough.

But I have to hand it to Buyers Products, not only did they bother to answer my letter, they showed genuine concern for safety and gave me the benefit of the doubt. That's A1 customer service, something you don't see much these days. It's also smart business as it builds customer loyalty. Kudos to them.