1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S-492 Blower edges

Discussion in 'Fabrication S.Houle Equipment' started by DaySpring Services, Oct 7, 2011.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone know if Poly edges will be available for this blower? I had some issues last season with the blade scraping the surface off blacktop. This season I have on blacktop driveway that is brand new and I'm a little worried about it.
    I also wasn't too crazy about the shoe design. If one side of the blower rode up on something (hardpack) the other side would dig in and gouge the surface. I think the shoes aren't wide enough. I going to attempt to fabricate a 2 inch poly shoe for this season. Maybe that will help.
    Other than those 2 issues I absolutely love this blower!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Ah, the scratched asphalt issue! I've run into that problem every year. How to clear down to the pavement without scratching, but don't leave any marks!
    I'm having Poly edges on my new Normand for this season.
    My Bobcat blower with poly edge just didn't work. The cutting edge was to small and would wear out within a few hours.
    Can't you just have a Poly edge cut to size and bolt it on your blower?
    BTW, how do you like the M100X? It's what I'm using this year.

3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

The Shoule S 492 is a heavy machine. We were afraid the sides (side plates) would gouge concrete and or asphalt drives and actually did for a competitor. We had skid shoes built just like on a box plow. 4" x 3/4". This took care of the issue you described. I saw some other pictures where UMHW was bolted to the side plates.

We also wanted to put poly on ours but there was not enough clearance between the impeller and cutting edge. I believe the newer models have been re designed a bit to eliminate that issue.

4. blowerman

The idea of UMHW or Poly type of cutting edges is a matter of how long they will last. I'd keep a few on hand so you could change them as needed in winter.
    Considering I have AR 400 steel on my Pronovost blower and we change them every other winter, I can only imagine how fast Poly shoes will wear out.

5. DaySpring Services

Herm, Do you have any pics of the shoes you made? I also had the thought of getting a set of shoes from a pusher and mounting them up. I had an avalanche Skid steer pusher a couple years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the shoes would fit with a little fabrication.

As for a poly cutting edge there's simply not enough clearance. I if I remember right there's less that 1 inch with the standard steel edge. This is where I feel shoule missed the mark. I would love to go poly.

Blowerman, I love my M100x. I didn't have a single problem or issue with it last season. I like using the tractor alot more than a pickup. It's alot more comfortable and efficient. Can't go wrong with this machine!

6. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Josh,

I e-mailed you my pictures to the last e-mail address I have for you. I'll try to post them tomorrow morning for others as well. When you fabricate make sure you use thick and hardened steel. We wore a set out in short order that was not thick enough or hard enough.

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I think the key to success here is not necessarily how hard the steel is but how much it resists abrasion. One will often see "AR" used in conjunction with steel grades (ie AR400). This is Abrasion Resistant steel and is best for cutting egdes or anything that is being slide across a hard surface, or vice versa.

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Fair enough.

9. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

10-4 Herm. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm trying maintane the sites integrity as a good source for information. I hope I didn't offend.

10. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

You did not.

11. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

S - 492 skid shoes

Zi6_0541 (3).jpg

Zi6_0544 (1).jpg

Here you go. FYI, our first set of shoes were not made of hardened steel and wore out very quickly, the second set of shoes we put on was of hardened steel and seems to be holding up.

Zi6_0541 (3).jpg

Zi6_0544 (1).jpg

12. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

It looks to me like one could mount that a bit higher (with some modification to allow it to remain fitted under that lip) and bolt on some poly or UHMW blocks.
    From what I can see thst looks like a nice blower. The box looks to be made from steel that is thicker than what I have seen before. Can you please post more pictures so we can better see the construction?
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  13. blowerman

I could be wrong, but do you think UHMW will last very long being used as a skid shoe?
    If normal steal wears out rather quickly compared to using hardened AR400, then how good will skid shoes made of a poly (or such material) hold up?
    I'm just wondering, as I run poly edges on my Pronovost but AR400 for a main cutting edge.

14. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I would be very interested to know. I found this thread trying to research a "poly" edge for a job I'm bidding. I have heard that some "poly" can last longer than steel. So far, this has not been confirmed. I have put "poly" in quotations because, so far, I have found at least two different types of "poly", and maybe three. It seems that polyEURETHANE has been around the longest and is the most widely used. There is also polyETHYLENE (also refered to here as UHMW ployethylene) and, from what I have gathered thus far, is less flexible but lasts longer. The possible third "poly" is from Cutting Edge Ploy LLC (cuttingedgepoly.com). They call their "poly" Polyguard. I suspect that it's UHMW polyETHYLENE but I am not sure. For the price of this stuff I hope that it lasts longer than a steel cutting egde (and I don't mean mild steel).
    On Edit: I'm not sure if a poly edge would be a good application for the main edge of a blower. The only reason I say that is because the poly has to be pretty thicker than steel to get the required charatceristics. In that location, and with my understanding of how an edge mounts in there, it may not fit if it was thicker than steel. A thinner edge may work well yet it will proably need to be replaced very frequently and that might make it less apealing to many. I think Paul is using them (not sure if for back blade or main blade) so it would be nice if he would weigh in.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  15. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

I think Paul has some of the Shoule blowers that he modified to put on a poly cutting edge. He had to make a different setup because of the clearance issue compared to his other blowers. I think I read a post about it in another thread.

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Yes we did, only because we only run UHMVW called teflon cutting edges over here. All the manufactures with the exception of the SHoule had the cutting edges sitting flat under the blower. SHoule used an angled cutting edge like on a plow to be more aggressive to clean better. This is what the contractors in our market asked for, because we could not attach a teflon blade, my brother welded a steel plate flat under the cutting edge and then bolted on a UHMVW cutting edge, we had no issues with the blower at all. The contractors in my area found that the angled cutting edge was to aggressive, it was cleaning amazingly well, better than anything out there, but it was also leaving marks so that this year SHoule changed and has now made an identical modification like ours.
    Here are some pictures, of what it looks like now. I really like what Herm did, those shoes will carry most of the weight looks good.

photo.JPG

photo (2).JPG

photo (4).JPG

photo (3).JPG

17. DaySpring Services

Paul, All you did was weld that flat piece of steel on with the diagonal supports? You then bolt the teflon onto the flat piece? I'll have to find a welder and have mine modified before winter. I have a couple brand new blacktop driveways I don't want to tear up! I will also be giving you a call (hopefully today). I've been busy lately,

18. DaySpring Services

the pieces that were welded on are where the arrows point? Also did you just drill holes halfway through the teflon to bolt them up?
    [​IMG]

19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Yes that is how we attached the plate under the blower. We counter sink the holes, I will go out and take some pics today and post them.

20. DaySpring Services

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011