1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S-10 pickup, plow not working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mrz_plowing, Nov 12, 2013.

1. mrz_plowing

mrz_plowing Junior Member

Hello all, new to this forum and plowing. I recently bought a 1995 chevy s-10 without a plow. I found a used 6.5 foot western unimount setup off of a 1991 s10 blazer. With some "trimming" to the bumper brackets, I was able to attach the plow no problem. I used the truck all last season with no issues. Now this year, I brought the plow up to the garage and found an issue. When I try any direction (except down) on my plow control, my solenoid clicks and my control shuts off. I have a pistol grip control. I also tried a spare control I have (joystick) and I'm not getting any clicking from the solenoid, the power light is on on the joystick control. I'm not sure where to start with this. Could it be the solenoid? Please help, snow is on it's way

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

so with the box controller you get no click, does the light stay on all the time?
    ck your controller pwr supply, where you have it tapped in

3. mrz_plowing

Thanks for the reply. I have the power supply coming right from the fuse box, did add a fuse to the wiper circuit. As for the control, the light on the pistol grip turns off as soon as I hit up right or left. If I hit down, the light stays on. Could this be the solenoid then? It seems like when the solenoid gets a signal, it kills the power on my control. Also, if I try my joystick control, I get no clicks out of the solenoid.

4. dieselss

Just for grinns, tap into a different pwr source, even if you have to jumper wire it off the battery. I'm thinking your tap a fuse or wiring is bad

5. mrz_plowing

ok gotcha. I'll try that today when I get home from work. I'm hoping it is that simple of a fix

6. dieselss

K. Keep us informed

7. mrz_plowing

Last night, I tried switching the power wire and got the same results (went directly to the battery). I forgot to mention in my last post that on my joystick controller, the power light is staying on. I'm not losing power to that one when I hit a direction but also with the joystick control, I'm not getting any clicking out of my solenoid.

8. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Check your circuit board on your controller. Mine did the same thing. Plow raised then nothing. Won't even go to float. Jumped motor and it worked ( moved ), replaced syliniod did not work. Checked cicuit board on controller and it was burnt. Power light was on but no response to any actions. Waiting for new guts to controller now ( 250.00 ) payup

9. mrz_plowing

Gotcha. I'm gonna try the solenoid first (only around $15.00) first then if all else fails, gonna start looking at the plow controller.

10. dieselss

Well I would test the solenoid first but that's me

11. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

sorry. I thought you already checked your solenoid. but if solenoid is good check circuit board on controller.

12. mrz_plowing

Wired up the new solenoid last night, fixed the issue. I think the old one was grounding out when it received the signal from my control. Thanks to everyone for their replys.