1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

S 10 clunking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by leeddog65, Dec 28, 2005.

1. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Anyone habe suggestions?
    Big Clunking sound in the front end when I turn usually.
    Actually happens less with plow on.

2. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

If it does it when the truck is in 4 wheel drive then you have a cv joint out.

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Have you tried turning the radio up to drown out the noise? That usually works for a while. Then when it does break at least you will know what was making the noise. In my experience the CV axles make a clicking sound when the wheels turned all the way. A clunking feeling felt through the wheel could be an idler arm, very common problem with S-10s and full size Chevys too. If you don't know how to check it get it into a shop and have them diagnose it for you. It may be hard to feel any play in it by hand, unless you jack the front wheels off the ground.

4. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

could also be a ball joint......does it clunk more than once at a time??

call around to some garages....some will check out the front end for you for free

5. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Its usually one big clunk, then it goes away.

6. PlowingHD

PlowingHD Junior Member

What year S-10? the 82-93 models had lots of problems with torsion bar mounts seperating. the 94-04 models have what I like to call "Ball Joint Itis" and even had the upper joints break on me while on test drives.

7. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

One of the earlier ones. 92.
    I t doesnt sound as serious as a torsion bar problem. Im hoping for a bad shock or something.

8. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

if i had to guess i'd say ball joint.....

the only way your gonan know for sure is to jack it up and look at it

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, those years the S-10s and Blazers were famous for balljoints. I had forgotten about that.