1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

s-10 blazer acting up

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wwf, Feb 26, 2003.

1. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

hi all
    i have a 88 s-10 blazer 4.3tbi
    the other day it blew 3 ecm-b fuses,i heard a relay or somthing chattering but buy the time i got to the noise the fuse blew
    also the wife said she got a check guages lite on the dash
    i never new there was a lite for that.
    does it sound like a fuel pump getting ready to go?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Could be the fuel pump.It should be fed through the ECM B fuse (10 amp).You could unplug the pump,turn the key on and see if the fuse blows or not.If it doesn't,it's probably the pump.

If the fuse still blows,use a sealed beam headlamp,connected across the fuse terminals to find the cause of the short.If the headlamp is on very bright,you have a short.Unplug,disconnect and wiggle things until the light goes dim.If the light does go dim,then you have found the problem.

3. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

wwf, this is very common on those TBI's someone removes the air filter,and the spacer under it to for whatever reason.reinstalls the spacer,and pinches the wiring to the injectors under the spacer,between the spacer and TBI unit. Before you drive yourself nuts looking for the short,pull the air filter off,and the TBI spacer,look where the 4 wires pass thru to the injectors,makes sure they werent pinched and chaffed thru. Only after you've eliminated that would i go on looking further.Those trucks rarley have wiring problems other than that. John D

5. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

thanks john

looked there, maybe i missed it
    car wiring sucks.....

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

wwf,also be sure to check the TCC wiring down to the trans if its an auto,if the TCC soleniod shorts out in the pan,either to the case,or if the solieniod shorts internally,,it can blow the ECM fuse, I ve been there,drove me nuts,just unhook the trans connector to rule that out,you can drive it,but dont drive it very long the trans will run hot out of lockup.

7. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

thanks john

i just had the trans rebuilt too but it happened once befor
    i just gota find it .....:drinkup:

8. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

fuel pump shorted

replace the pump and the sender
    the last one i had in my shop the sender wae shorted where the
    wires past thru it
    the assembly isnt cheap

cardoctor

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it is what CARDOCTOR described,don't buy a whole new assy.Either repair the wires at the sender,get a used one,or there are aftermarket companies that sell new complete assy's (with or without the pump),at about a third of the cost of a new one from the dealer.Spectra is one company who makes them.

10. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

thanks guys