1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RWAL problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by B Nick, Oct 12, 2010.

1. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

The ABS brake light and emerg brake light came on at the same time and wont go out. Guy at the dodge dealership says it the RWAL system for the back breaks. How exactly does it work? Is it an easy fix? Maybe a sensor? or can I just leave it? Oh and i dont actually have ABS brakes, so that why im confused! Thanks guys.

2. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

What year truck? give us some particulars to work with here....model, 2wd, 4wd, engine etc...

3. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Haha, sorry. 1996 dodge ram 1500, 4x4, 5.2L automatic

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Could be a sensor. Not sure were the ABS sensor is on a 96 Ram. On my 03, it is mounted right above the rear differential. Could also be a disconnected or broken ABS line.

5. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

On top of the rear diff, more towards the drivers side, is your ABS sensor, Most likely it has gone south on you. They're relatively cheap to replace, around $14 if i remember correctly. But also check to see that the plug and wiring also hasn't been damaged to that sensor.

6. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

totally the sensor in the diff. super common issue in dodges and fords donno bout chevy. they get messed up from stuff hitting the plug ot getting wiped out on the inside from ur limited slip commin apart like mine did. i did the old electrical tape on the dash for now since i dont like abs anyway. all it is is Rear Wheel Anti Lock (rwal) brakes.

7. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Yes, it is the sensor on the top of the rearend.

8. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Awesome, thanks guys. I really appreciate it. But... if I dont have anti lock brakes to begin with, how does the RWAL work?

9. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

the 1996 model year came standard with RWAL brakes. What makes you think you don't have it?

10. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

I think what im trying to figure out is, how exactly does the RWAL system work? I dont actually have 4 wheel ABS.

11. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Your model year does not have 4 wheel ABS. It has RWAL. If you look on your frame rail, drivers side, by the fuel tank and above the rear axle, you will see a box that has your brake lines going into it. there is also a rod that attaches to this box and your rear axle. this detects a change in height of your rear end in comparison to the frame (when the nose dips during heavy braking) and adjust the amount of brake fluid going to your rear wheels to keep them from locking up. The sensor that is bad on the top of your diff also detects the speed of your ring gear in the rear axle. TRUST ME, YOU DO HAVE REAR WHEEL ANTI-LOCK BRAKES......

12. 1995droptopz

1995droptopz Junior Member

all the RWAL system does is dump pressure off when slip is detected and reapply once the wheel is turning again. This is the pricipal for all ABS systems, except on the rear only systems just rear slip is monitored.

The system is not very effective in slippery weather since you still need to worry about front lockup. The biggest advantage is to eliminate lockup when the unloaded truck skips over bumps and wants to swap ends.

13. B Nick

B Nick Junior Member

Great! Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.