1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusty Quick Couplers

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sno4U, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I have quick couplers on our Meyers plow and am having problems w/ them either rusting at which point the little balls in them seize up and they don't work anymore or else they just get moisture in them and they freeze up and don't wanna come apart.
    I've tried DW40 and Kroil penetrating oil w/ poor results.
    Couplers are a PITA!!
    What else would work w/o getting your hands full of grease or something like that when you simply wanna take the plow off?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Replace them with some new ones and then coat them with Fluid Film

3. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Will the fluid film wear off quickly? How often do U do it?
    I'm getting a sample but am not familiar w/ the consistency of the product or how to really use it. So, please answer my dumb questions for now.

4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid Film stops the rust, the rust, the rust!!!:D

5. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

The couplers on my meyer plow always did the same thing. When I wanted to take the plow off I just dump a little hot water from a cup on them and they unthaw immediately. I got that tip from one of the biggest plow companies in town.

Previously to that I used to slightly tap it with a screwdriver and hammer, half the time resulting in cracking the thing.

6. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

We use propane bottle torches, most of our equipment has one in the cab. Great for frozen couplers, locks ect. & no need to boil water. In summer time we grease them heavily to prevent rust & seizure...a little messy but saves some aggravation later on.

www.snowman.ca

7. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I never had to boil the water, just regular hot water from the tap.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Hot water only cools and freezes. what do you do if you have to take the plow off and you aint got hot water where you are? the couplers arnt that expensive, replace them every couple of years.

9. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

dip them in antifreeze? We do this to our locks every winter.. Antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors and doesnt freeze very easily.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Simply spray it on the couplers and work the collars back and forth a few times to work the FF under the collars to the ball bearings. Then lightly wipe the excess off with a shop towel.

Usually once at the beginning of the season and again at the end is enough. It lasts a good long time and is one of the few products that seems to last (and work) on quick couplers without making a mess.

11. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

You could do as I did... sell the Meyers and buy a Blizzard. No hydraulics to fool with. 1 electrical connector, 2 pins.... done;)

12. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Always has to be 1 in the crowd!!! LOL

Thanks B&B and others, always appreciate the advice.

13. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Really, on a more serious side, I too had problems with the Meyer couplers so I went to TSC and purchased quality Parker fittings. You can get them at any hydraulic supplier and they wont be as problematic as the stock Meyer ones. Hope this helps, good luck, Alussmileyflag

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Aeroquip are good as well.

15. yancy

yancy Senior Member

we just put new couplers on every couple of years never really had a problem and the plow sits outside all year.