1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusty Plow...U think it's fixable ???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by fazang, Jan 29, 2008.

1. fazang

fazang Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    i got a Meyer on my 88 Bronco II
    here is a link to site with 3 pix of the plow i took today........

http://picasaweb.google.com/96SSimpala/Plow

i am now researching prices to get it welded.
    If this was your plow would try to "patch" it or should i start to save up for a whole new blade?

Basically water settles at bottom of those brace like pieces and rusts through the front of the plow from the back.....my idea is to have it welded so water can no longer get in there...?? and to have the holes(4) patched in the plow itself.
    good idea or bad idea ????

thanx for looking
    -ALF:salute:

2. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Check your local classifieds, craigslist, even ebay. I see used 6.5' Meyer blades, in decent to good shape for sale from time to time, usually for just $150-350. Might be able to pick up one of them for the same $$ it would cost for repairs, then you could still keep your old one as a backup.

3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

that should be a simple fix. i've done it to my myers before and it is pretty simple.
    first make sure there is no water inside the the rear channel. then a 1/4'' patch to fit ithe back brace(thats what looks rusted. and make sure the tops are welded shut as water gets down into them from there.
    Then cut the patches for the front a 1/2 size bigger that the repair spot. its should be 3/16'' or 1/8'' but you will need to start on medium heat and work up that way you wont burn through.

hope this helps.

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

pull up to one some place in the middle of the night and borrow theres. totally just kidding good way to get shot. u can get a half decent one cheap check ur local junk yards people normally toss them when there old jeeps quit.

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

You could slap some good paint on it and put one of them Plow Shileds on it!

Cheap Fix

6. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I wouldn't spend too much money trying to fix it. I just went throught the same thing on my Northman and it was going to cost $200 - $300 to fix it right. I could have have easily got a used blade for that money and I decided to splurge and bought a new one for $520! IMO, the patch work won't get you that much extra time out of the blade.

7. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

If you do it right it will last a long time. I had my blade, A frame, and selector sand blasted for $ 60, the I welded plates over the holes. You should be able to find someone with a mig welder to fix it cheap. Check craigslist for a welder that will fix it.