1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusty Ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kimber750, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

My 2002 Ford bed. This is the first time I have taken the bedliner out since installing a new bed tonight. Figured I would share. :mechanic:

parts 003.jpg

parts 005.jpg
  2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

You have to keep the salt off the truck and get it oil'd!
  3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That nothing compare to this

4. kimber750

This all started long before I put a plow on this truck but I will admit I haven't worried about salt since the bed was already so bad. I have actually had the new bed for 3 years. :rolleyes:
    Just haven't had the motivation to put it on until now.
  5. kimber750

LOL that is awesome. Would make removing the bad so much easier.
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

perfect example of why my truck gets thorougly cleaned after each storm.

and cleaned by me - the car wash can make the outside look pretty, but they are not hosing down frame rails, wheel wells, radiator supports, etc, etc......
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Really easy tank access!
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

LOL My 02 F350 look just like that when I took bedliner out it Now I put a Flat bed on it

Thats what them bedlinears good for
  9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

And that's why I like the composite bed on my Tacoma.... It'll NEVER rust.
  10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Most folks think a bed liner prtects your bed. It does - in a fashion. But more importantly, it hides the damage (chafing which leads to corrosion) from the owner's eyes. That's why I'm a fan of sprayed in bed liners as long as the work is done properly.
  11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

A bed liner protects your cargo. You can slide a fridge on a bedliner without scraping it up too badly.
  12. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

My fiancee's uncle in Snowshoe, PA has a 2000 F350 with the same issue. But he doesn't have a bed liner at all, just his 5th wheel hitch. I believe he is looking for a new bed since he can't afford a new truck and his 350 only has 110k or so on it.
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I think the bed liners trap moisture between them and the bed. Mine will drip when you have a lot of rain.You move the truck and it all comes out the back. Most of the water is in the bed-liner, but some leaks down to the bed. It is dripping when it is sitting there.
  14. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm am glad I just sprayed Fluid Film on the underbody of my new truck, to hopefully prevent rust like this.

Spray in bedliner or nothing for me.
  15. kimber750

My rust started in the wheel arc, right where the inner and outer fenders are mated together. Right where ford thought it would be a great idea to put that gray spongy stuff. :rolleyes:
  16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope just the frame LOL
    And yes I know its the previous generation Tacoma, I'm just kidding around
  17. TLK380

TLK380 Member

Anybody knows whats a good rustproofing product?
  18. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

I take my bed liner out every once and a while and clean under it. Make sure the drain holes in the front of the box are not plugged up.This year I decided to use drain oil as rust proofing for the underside of my truck. So far it seems to be working great.I used a siphon air blow gun to spray it and it put a nice thin layer on. I've washed it a few times and it still looks good.Best part its FREE!
  19. kimber750

I sprayed me new bed with undercoating before I put it on. Hoping this will help. Still considering putting an aluminum flatbed on thou.
  20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Drain oil + parafin wax together in a water bath, then spray it on while it's warm.. That's an old trick.