1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by YWalleye, Mar 16, 2003.

1. YWalleye

YWalleye Junior Member

I own a 1994 Z71 ext. cab chevy. The body is still in nice shape and I would like to keep it that way, I live in the midwest where all the salt and sanded roads are. My ? is if I go with this electronic rustproofing system what do I need to do if any with the little rust that has started already? Thank you.
  2. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I had one of those electronic rust prevention gizmos on my '94 S-10 Blazer 4-door, installed when the truck was new. The truck started rusting in several spots in just a couple years. I saw no improvement in rust prevention over the '88 S-10 blazer 2-door I had before that '94.

I used to always have my new cars and trucks rust-proofed when I bought them. I got the fancy Ziebart spray-on/in rustproofing on an '85 Pontiac. That car rusted quite a bit in just the first two years. I had a buddy do a home rustproofing job on an '82 Camaro. That car rusted badly in just the first year I had it.

My last 3 new vehicles had no rustproofing (either electronic gizmo or spray-on/in type). They all held up much better than the older vehicles. However, there are other factors to consider, such as better metal finishing at the factory in the past decade or more.

What's my point? I'm not sure there is any benefit or need for added-on rustproofing systems. I really don't think any of them work.

There are some "oil" based systems out there now, and I'm not familiar with them. To me, save the $$ you would've spent on the rustproofing and spend it on getting any rust that appears taken care of.

The salt gets in everywhere under a vehicle. I don't think there's any way to prevent rust other than getting the salt off the vehicle (top & bottom) as soon as possible.
  3. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

I have found there is only three proven methods to slow rust. Remove the the rust (ie. sandblast), Seal in the rust (with products like POR15 or corroless, or trade it in.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Id just leave it alone,and clean the undercarriage regularly.You want to get under the bed by the fuel tank, frame real good,since the brake/fuel lines run there,and rot out. GM dips there frames in a wax coating,and it is recommmended that they not be undercoated from the factory.
  5. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Every other year I use POR (paint over rust) on the undercarriage frame as part of my maintance schedule. I use spray on can of undercoating in the wheel wells.:waving:
  6. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

What I have been told is that most of the rust proofing that was done by the the car makers from years ago did work just great for holding the moisture onto the metal and causing the bodies to rust quickly....

Then they started to dip the cars to help prevent the rust.... it helps a lot....

I have also been told that there are now very few steel makers let in the US... ie Bethlehem steel down and out... and that a lot of the steel not being used is from china is cheap and inferior....

I would just try to keep the underside clean and salt free....

IF that does not work, just try some napalm... it cures everything, just like cod liver oil use to when you were a kid......

7. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Having Rust Proofed cars for quite a few years i think i can honestly reply to this question with a example.
    My 85 GMC PU was lovingly protected by me when i first bought it. I went so far as opening up places that they said didn't need it.
    When i was done it was a total GLOWING WORK OF ART with the black light checker.
    The result was fantastic. It rusted out all the brake lines three times, took out the cab mounts, inner panels rusted out, floor boards gone.
    I kept the salt off the truck as much as I could during the winter.
    Washed the undercarrage frequently.
    The result was a truck the fell apart faster than my friends did. He never washed his or rust proofed it.
    gslam88 hit the nail on the head. keep it clean, use some paint.
    In my opinion, Rust proofing isn't worth it.