1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rustproofing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by icebreaker, Oct 6, 2014.

1. icebreaker

icebreaker Member

Has anybody ever heard of krown rustproofing or actually use this product? What do you guys use out there

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Por 15 works really well.

3. icebreaker

icebreaker Member

Isn't that a paint though ? Looking for a rustproofing just didn't know if any of you guys use krown

4. RS69

RS69 Junior Member

See my post in the Chevy truck section, I sprayed my underside of my truck with used motor oil this year.

5. r.renterprises

r.renterprises Member

Fluid film! This stuff works the rust thats started seamed to stop in its tracks

6. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

Fluid film. We are going to buy five gallon buckets and airless spray everything this year. After last winter I can't even use the tool boxes on my flatbed. I wish I would have sprayed them.

7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I've used Krown. When my truck was new I had it done. I found it dried up pretty quick. The dealer that did it said he could spray it again but would charge me to do so. I went to Rust Check instead.

8. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

how has rust check worked for you? pros cons?

9. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

I bought 2 cases of krown after seeing a truck drivers 03 semi with no frame rust. I did a test on the vbox chains and shafts, they all rusted pretty quickly.

Previous years I used fluid film with no issues and only sprayed the shafts and chains coupler once.
    Needless to say I'm only using fluid film from now on

10. searay220

searay220 Member

I'm picking up the new 2500HD this weekend. Would you guys recommend applying some type of undercoating now while everything is new for added protection. On my 2006 2500HD the rust did some major damage to the undercarriage.
    What you suggest on using?

11. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

If your frame has that black waxy coating, fluid film will soften it and will wash of easy, leaving bare metal. I purchased Cosmoline, Rust Veto 342 waxy stuff to spray all over. www.cosmolinedirect.com

http://waxoyl-usa.com/ Same type of wax coating

My truck is black so it's not as noticeable, but I also spray the outside of the rockers along with everything underneath.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  12. PLOWDOC54

PLOWDOC54 Junior Member

Undercoating - Trucks & Equipment

I've tried 7 or 8 different products over the years. I found Fluid Film to be on the thin side. The best performing product for me has been Cosmoline. I use the Cosmoline "Black Version" for my equipment and the 342 Industrial Grade Stuff for my Trucks. I get 2-3 seasons out of each. Not cheap, but I sleep well at night.
    www.CosmolineDirect.com
    Cosmoline Black - Asphaltic-Based Turns to Hard Rubber/Plastic
    342 Industrial Grade (Wax-Type)

13. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Ditto x 1K. Follow instructions verbatim tho

14. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Pot 15 does work but like anything it has it's limits. Had a salt truck sand blasted and applied Por 15 to the frame and most of the underneath. It lasted about 2 seasons before it started to peel off.

15. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

It was not applied/prepped as per instructions. Period.

16. searay220

searay220 Member

That Cosmoline Black sounds like good stuff. I'm taking delivery on a new 2015 Sierra next week and want make sure I have the best protection possible against rust. I will be plowing with the truck and live in New England where there is no shortage of salt on the roads. I'm interested in spraying everything that's exposed on the undercarriage.

17. searay220

searay220 Member

Or would this be better??

Cosmoline, Rust Veto 342 waxy stuff

18. PLOWDOC54

PLOWDOC54 Junior Member

Regarding the Cosmoline Black, I've used it for years and it's the real deal. Also if you subscribe to their email newsletter, you might still get their October promotion. You can save 15% on any first-time order with the promo code "COSMO-OCT-15" at checkout. It adds up to a small chunk of change. Hope that helps.

19. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

May have a prob getting anything to stick on new, waxy coated frame. Maybe rough up n clean/degrease first? Congrats on new ride!

20. searay220

searay220 Member

I could see that maybe being a problem with Cosmoline Black. What do think about Cosmoline, Rust Veto 342 waxy stuff being applied on top of the factory waxy stuff?