1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusting Pistons

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kubota00, Mar 27, 2008.

1. kubota00

kubota00 Junior Member

Well it almost over and time to store the plows. I have a couple of angle pistons that are just starting to rust. Anyone have a any suggestions as to what I can put on the pistons for the summer to slow the rusting. Thanks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Quality rams will not rust unless the chrome has been compromised.

You can coat them with FF or you can use some grease.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Put an old glove on and cover your cylinders in a general purpose grease, Make sure to get around the seal too. We have blades from 1985 that sit outside all season and have no rust because they have been greased since new. Grease also saves your seals. I'm a big FF supporter but grease is better for this application. Make sure you grease any other lubrication points while your at it and FF the rest of the blade. JMO
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I grease and then wrap with wax paper. (my cat kept coming in with a grease stripe down its back):rolleyes:
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fluid Film, and don't stop with the pistons, coat the whole thing.
  6. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

I generally apply a liberal amount of grease to the cylinders, and then take my undercoating gun and spray all the welds and joints to slow the rust.
  7. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

i would have to agree with every one and say a liberal amount of grease would be your best bet on the pistons then spray everything else with FF and make shure you have die-electric grease in the electral plugs.