1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rusting oilpans on ford trucks

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 84deisel, Dec 22, 2005.

has your oil pan rusted

1. no it is clean

9 vote(s)
  2. has rust forming but not severe

22 vote(s)
  3. pan rotted out and leaking

10 vote(s)
  4. pan was replaced

19 vote(s)
  1. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

just a quick poll how many rusted oilpans are out there. We just discovered another one one one of our 99 psd sd.
  2. Jray3369

Jray3369 Junior Member

por 15, so the rust is gone!
  3. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I get 1 every few months at the shop that has rusted enough to become porous.
  4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

ford used cheap and thin metal on thier oil pans, the rust is a pretty common thing. been happening for years.
  5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Ford buys these motors from IH in a crate and installs them in there trucks. it is not something ford has done it should fall back on IH and there cheep paint.
  6. smokin_stroker

smokin_stroker Junior Member
    from ohio

It is not a Ford problem it is an International problem. The county's dumptruck have the same problem and Ih won't do anything about it, so the refused to buy Ih truck. The last bid they had for dump truck the went with the second lowest bidder I h was the lowest.
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

My 1993 F-250 5.8 L Gasser has rusted badly and is on the verge of needing a replace and/or patch job! It looks like rust a matter of time...I am thinking it will be this winter!
  8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have had three done so far and it hasn't cost me a dime! Ford is very good about standing behind them on the diesels. The diesels come with a 100K warranty on the engine and the pans have always been covered. Replacing them requires at minimum a partial removal of the engine from the truck in order to do it, as long as it's their payup , I dont mind at all.
  9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

sorry, i wasnt paying attention that it was a diesel. but it is true for the gas motors.
  10. frostservices

frostservices Member

I have an 84 and an 85 I was second owner of both and neither have been replaced or are even rusty. musta been the newer trucks?
  11. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

I had 1994,F-250 gas, the pan was rusted through in a couple of spots. As a temporary fix, I drained the oil, washed it down with brake clean, sanded, washed, washed again, and put some fiberglass patch on it, refill oil.
    The problem I believe is not the "paint" but rather the "powder coat" and the poor prep (or lack of prep), If I was to replace a pan, I would have all the coating removed by sandblasting, then coat it with a good galvanizing primer followed by paint.
    Or perhaps POR 15.
  12. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

i got a 96 f250 powerstroke and its gonna be due to get the pan replaced. what really bites is that i gotta pull the motor to do it :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :yow!:
  13. Midwest BuildIt Inc

you dont have to pull the motor, ive done it before. but you will need something to lift the cab with. like a engine hoist or crane, or even a bobcat.
  14. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

lift the cab ?? but lifgting the cab there still is no room to pull the pan on a 4x4 is sits right on the cross member . u still gotta lift the motor right
    i am certainly not lookin forward to doin this
  15. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You don't have to pull it, but you will need to lift it. We disconnect the mounts and use a jack stand we lower the truck till we have enough room to reach in and unbolt the oil pickup tube and drop into the pan. This will give you enough room to pull the pan. The biggest obstacle there is should be the exhaust. If its a V-8 what we do is unbolt the exhaust from the drivers side and then we cut the pipe near where the 2 sides come together. This will give you plenty of room to pull the pan. When we go to put the pan on we use the felpro gasket. What makes that gasket so special is it comes with 4 clips that aid in the installation of the pan. We can have a pan on a V-8 in about 3 hours from start to finish, hope this helps....Rob
  16. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Man I'm not looking forward to swapping out the pan when time comes--Is there preventitive maitnence to do on the pans before winter?
  17. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Sure you can clean it off now and put some good paint on it, Like POR-15.
    It is a lot easer then after it starts leaking.

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

MY 99 350 pu w/ diesel is rusting but not leaking when i change oil i rub old oil all over the pan cheap easy and helps to protect these cheap pans.
  19. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Check your warrantys! Pretty sure that most trucks with the diesel came through with 5 year/100K warrantys on the motors and the oilpan is covered on this warranty. The warranty on the entire truck is much shorter than the engine warranty.
  20. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

Also watch your diff covers on the 98 and up Super Duty trucks as I have seen 4 of them rust through. No Damage to them, just rust. As for the oil pans I have had it happen on the 302, 351, and the 300 straight six. Love Fords, but they could use a little better and thicker metal on their pans and diff covers.:gunsfiring: