1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusting f350 doors

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snowish10, Jun 6, 2013.

1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

My driver door is starting to lose some of its paint on the inside now, as well as my other 3 doors. Also, have paint that's coming off on the outside of the doors. Has anyone ever raptor bed liner the inside and outside of the doors? Good and/or bad?

I'm stuck behind having a crappy looking truck or spending my time and money to sand bast and bed liner the doors myself.

Thoughts on my situation or ideas??

Thanks Adam.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

May as well add some pictures to this since it's in the pictures section.

3. snowish10

This is the driver door. Its getting worse by the weeks.

photo (8).jpg

photo (10).jpg

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Get all that rust off, seal it, and then bedline it. It really looks good and you can easily get it done in a weekend if you take your time. A 3M abrasive wheel on the rust and sand paper on the good paint.

5. snowish10

Seal it with por-15?

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That'll work and then spray over that with self etching primer.

7. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Ask mark13 how much bed liner helped slow down the rusting problem on his old truck.... In short- it made it worse

8. snowish10

Really? What about por-15 would that be fine?

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Dang. That's the first I heard of that. I can only see it making it worse if moisture was trapped or the rust wasn't treated well enough.

10. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

If you use POR-15 you need to paint over it. It's not meant as a top coat.

11. snowish10

There needs to be a primer under the top coat correct?

12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Earlier this week I was doing a demo with a new blasting system that we're thinking about buying. I was impressed w/ the results we were getting on random objects, so I decided to do the bottom of my drivers door...then the inside (after ripping off that ridiculous rubber salt catcher on the inside of the door)...and then did the notorious bubbles on the bed, just above the wheel.

What I've learned...They really don't make them like they used to (no surprise there), but what I'm saying is anything you do at this point is just a temporary band-aid...the better the rust removal & prep work...the better the band aid.

I call it a band aid because these trucks are made to rot out. Salt water gets inside the door, starts causing damage to all the power locks & window switches and door latches, before it makes it down to the bottom seam w/ nowhere to go. Unless you drill some drain holes and oil the inside religiously, your only going to trap it in that much more w/ a coating & accelerate the rot that much faster.

As good as I can sandblast the rust on the outside...I have no way of removing it from the inside. If that isn't enough...there is a rubberized (soaking wet) sponge-like material in the seems of the trucks bed (where everyone gets holes on the edges). I was told that Chevy & dodge do the same, which is supposedly a sound dampener;).

I've thought long and hard about pulling the bed, blasting from the frame up & Promar this & Promar that...but right now after weighting out my options and what it would cost me to do it myself...

I'm leaning harder on flying to Texas, bringing back something clean (that doesn't cost 60k)...drill some holes, remove stupid stuff that holes moisture, and start spraying oil 2 x's a year.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, I wouldn't advise using bedliner to control rust. Another friend and I made that mistake on trucks and it makes a truck that's slowly rusting into a truck that's quickly rusting. Mine went from not terrible to really bad in 2yrs and I ended up having to sell it before I had no body of the truck left in a couple more years.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly, bedliner isn't doing anything but trapping it in there, plus the rust is showing up on the outside usually after its already begun on the inside.

First - remove the rubber strips on the bottom of your doors. This traps the water that is supposed to be draining out onto the ground.

Second - sand to as bare metal as possible.

Third - spray on some rust inhibitor (can get it from Home Deport) basically sulfuric acid if I remember correctly. Put this inside your door and on the exterior parts that had rust on them.

Fourth - Wipe off the rust inhibitor, follow Por15 or Rust Bullet prep steps and Paint on Por15/Rust Bullet.

Fifth - Filler, primer, basecoat then clear coat and be done.

This should last a few years.

15. snowish10

Thanks!!! Ive taken that rubber piece of a few days ago. That seems to help little. Which one is better por 15 or rust bullet?
    Also, what is the filler is the fifth step? Thanks for your help!

16. plowguy43

Bondo basically. A lot of my shops will use a fiberglass resin style filler (bondo) as a bottom layer, then use a skim of filler (top coat of bondo/non fiberglass) over that. Sand it to shape to make it as smooth as possible - your basically tricking the eye away from your body work. Then prime, block sand, prime again, block sand, base coat of your color, then clear. Tada!

I'm not sure which is better Por15/Rust Bullet, I've heard great reviews of both. I've personally seen a 67 mustang thats been sitting in a garage for 15 years that had Por15 applied to the engine compartment that still looked new. For that reason, and the fact I can grab more at Napa locally, I'm going with that myself.

17. snowish10

Thanks everyone for the ideas! Im going to pick up a quart of por15 and blackcot topcoat, along with the two cleaners. Ill post some pictures of the project. :mechanic:

18. plowguy43

Good deal! can't wait to see the pics.

19. snowish10

Just picked up the por 15 and black cote today. But wont be able to start my project till beginning of july due to work.

20. plowguy43

I just coated the inside of my mustangs doors with it (should've snapped pictures). Once dried up, its solid! Hopefully it stops the surface rust that was inside there (68' mustang)