1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusting cutting edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by burlingtonplow, Jan 5, 2010.

1. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

Happy new year!

I have a 6 inch 5/8 cutting edge that I put on my standard duty plow (Took off the poly edge). I noticed when I visited my customers driveways that there are some rust marks on there from the edge. Does this rust come off? In the spring am I going to get complaints about this? I'm not sure of what the solution to this is. I also see some small scraping of the driveway which is normal for uneven surfaces but also wonder if people eventually complain about this

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

put plow shoes on, or a rubber cutting edge

3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

That must be one heck of a rusty plow... Never heard of that one before... My plow has rust.. at the begining of The season it is gone within the first 5 minutes of plowing.. Heck the paint wears off after the fist storm..

4. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

weight

Maybe the weight of the plow is too heavy so its not floating that great. I noticed when I park there is also a rust line left on the driveway...

5. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can paint my carbon steel cutting edge. the rust on it is on the bolt area and on the bottom of the edge. I can't have this must rust of people's driveways. Is this normal and how can I stop the rusting?

6. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Its steel, you drag it over concrete/asphalt/gravel/etc. it wears, metal flakes come off and fall into the rough surface and they rust, just like your now bare metal on your cutting edge will. It is more apparent on concrete because of the light color. Its normal, some people complain about it - solution is a poly or rubber cutting edge. It is unreasonable to think that your plow and especially your steel cutting edge will not rust. Try the search function this has been discussed before. Best of luck, just think about it, the cutting edge gets smaller with use, where do you think it goes, and what happens to bare metal in the elements.

7. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

Thanks KJ Cramer. The edge itself has rust all along the bottom of it, the part that touches the ground. It doesn't seem to wear away at all (Used it for over 30 hours this year). I was really trying to figure out if there is a way to stop it from being such a rust bucket if was just purchased in Apr08. I only use it on asphalt

8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Nothing you can do about it besides what was already stated. Steel rusts and always will. I am sure your customers wont say a thing about it.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've never had a complaint about rust marks. I wouldn't get too worried about it. That's a massive edge for an SD. Will probably last you forever.

Even if you painted the bottom of the edge, the paint would be gone after one driveway.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do cast iron shoes not rust?

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Not in MI. :alien:

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Of course. They are surrounded by fresh water. I'm used the salt water here on the coast.

13. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

this "rusting cutting edge" is going to go back on. I'm going to plow the streets for 10 minutes before I hit residential to see if it helps.

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

10 miles :dizzy: try 30 ft then look at the edge the rust will be gone :nod:

15. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Its not the exsisting rust thats causing the problem, its the metal that wears off while dragging on the surface that is causing the rust colored streaks down the drive.

16. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

I measured the clearance off the ground to the bottom of the cutting edge with the poly and it was 13 inches. With the steel edge (same size as poly) it is now 11 inches.

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Dohhhhhh I saw 10 miles in your post not 10 minutes