1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusting Away

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by searay220, Nov 24, 2009.

1. searay220

searay220 Member

My current Fisher is a 8ft MM2. I had installed when I purchased my new Truck in Nov of 05.Hooked up the plow this week to bring out of the back yard and into the driveway. I was really suprised how much rust and rot the blade and pump has. It really looks like crap. Has anyone had to do any sanding and painting with such a new/newer plow?
  2. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I paint mine ecery year. I clean mine a lot durying the season and store indoors.
  3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Helps alot if you wash it after every storm and spray it with fluid film. Storing inside helps too.
  4. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Can't hurt to tarp it either.
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Do you spray it with anything before putting it away, and do you store it directly on the ground or on top of something?

When I stored mine outside I would first spray it down with Fluid Film ( I used a light coating of mystery oil before I knew about FF) then I would take a heavy duty pallet, cut 2 pieces of PT plywood to cap both sides, set the plow on that, then cover it with a heavy duty mill plastic (I used a 14' X 14' sheet of 7 ply white shrink wrap, go to your local boat yard in end of April, I got mine for free) over it stapling it to the long sides leaving the ends just draped down as far as they would go, for air to get in. I had to cut my sides a bit to make sure air would get in.

It cost me $60 for material, but it was a one time spend as I kept everything.
  6. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Wipe it down with WD40 every once in a while.
    At end of season wash and WD40.
  7. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I try to wash it off during the winter and i also spray it with WD40 before each storm.. This year i'm going to rinse it off with salt-a-way after plowing and see if that helps.....