1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusted reservoir what else to replace?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by scitown, Sep 26, 2008.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

8' MM1 I am going to replace my reservoir becuase of some rust and a dent from the last owner (no idea how it was dented). While Im ordering and taking things apart what else should I replace? Im thinking of doing the hoses becuase of the surface rust on the conections... What kind of $ am I looking at to just do a basic tune up and replace some parts? I dont know what Im doing should I drop it at the fisher dealer? Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The dent in the reservoir is often times due to a previous persons attempt to remove the reservoir as their well know for sticking quite well to the sealing O-ring and valve manifold...takes a rubber hammer for removal in many cases, creating "witness marks" on the exterior. ;). No fun when the reservoir attaching screws break off in the manifold either.

I'd replace the reservoir and O-ring and also replace the pickup and screen filter while in there. Reservoir kit (includes O-ring) is p/n 21830. Pickup kit is p/n 66763 Need a few qts of fluid as well.

The surface rust on the hose fitting isn't an issue. You want to look at the rubber portion of the hose itself to make the determination as to replacing them or not. Any cracks or chaffing don't hesitate to replace them. If you believe that they may be all the original hoses it never hurts to replace them for good measure regardless. Save the old hoses for spares.

Figure on spending around $150 or so for the replacement parts and fluid.

3. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Thanks for the help!! Im not sure about the dent its only on the truck side and is almost a crease rather than a bunch of dents. I thought it would cost a little more than that. Im going at it this Sunday. Thanks again for the help.

4. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Found a rainy day today to go and grab the parts. Waited on the hoses I figure I will throw some new ones in the truck in the case I need them. Both parts and a gallon of fluid cost me $91. Amazing how snow hundreds of miles away can motivate people to fix the plows up.

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Replace some rusty pins. I have some brand new if you can use them. Central Parts screwed up and sent me the wrong ones so I have a bunch.