1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusted pump motor

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 02powerstroke, Nov 29, 2008.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I was looking over my plow today and the pump motor is really really rusted it still works but should I be worried about it falling apart the first storm. take a look at the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

Mine looked a lot like that and I just had to replace it. Biggest concern is water getting into the reservoir. Might just run a bead of silicone around the motor where it meets the reservoir as a precaution.

3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Mine looked like that too. It is not what the outside looks like it is what the insde looks like. I just replaced it and put the old one in my parts cabinet, because it still worked fine. The motor was like $113 from CPW. I also agree with running the bead of silicone around the base in the little groove. Kind of a weird design. No gasket or o ring to protect it from water coming in.

4. 02powerstroke

so should I just buy a new one ? how hard is it to replace???

5. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Take the wires off, be sure to hold the nuts behind the eyelet too. Take the 2 bolts on top of the motor out and you can remove the motor. You may have to tap it with a rubber hammer. There is no "bottom" on the motor so if you pull up on the housing the armature stays in the pump. If it does it just slips out. Sometimes you can get them both off at once if you have "3 hands". Same way to put it back on. The hardest thing about it is getting the armature back in the housing trying to hold the brushes in. Took me 1 hour tops and that included doing a bunch of other little things like touching up the paint, dielectric grease on all the connections and a simple drain and fill.

6. 02powerstroke

how thick is the metal on the motor? if its not real thin i think it can wait. I have zero cash.

7. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

No need to worry about it rusting through it's pretty thick stuff. I would say 1/4 inch. A little wire brush and paint will go a long way. You can disassemble and clean it. That is pretty much free.

8. 02powerstroke

my can of fluid film is on its way lol this way be its first use