1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusted Out

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by R.M Hanson, Dec 10, 2008.

1. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson Junior Member

Hi there, I have a quick question for you guys. I have an older RT2, a 1998 model I believe. I took it apart this past spring because the moldboard was rusted through in places. I did intend to rebuild it, but the dealer is less than helpful. My question concerns the center section. I can get new blade halves in the old RT2 style for 1250.00 a piece, and 825.00 a piece for the new RT3 style. The question I have is weather or not the new style halves would fit on my older center section. They appear to be identical, but I have not measured one to verify. If they do fit, it's a significant savings at the parts store. Has anyone else tried this? If not would someone be willing to take some measurements of their RT3 center section so I can compare? Thanks.
  2. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

holy crap that's a lot of money.
    can you find used ones anywhere?
    I can fix a whole helluva lot for that kinda money.
    mine are from maybe '00-current, and as far as I can tell, all the blades are interchangeable.
  3. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

I just bought a rt2 8.2 vee and it had the same problem you are describing...RUST...(so bad the guy hit a curb and folded the driver's side cutting edge under) I found a set of rt3 9.2 halves and I did have to do a little grinding on the hinges but it worked
  4. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Also if it's a 8.2 I have the other half for sale, it's in decent shape. pm me if intrested
  5. bucket

bucket Junior Member
    from midwest

same problem here. took off the wings, had them blasted and had a welder weld in some new metal. finished off with tractor primer and paint. i put arounnd $750 ollars in them plus time to paint. was cheaper than new halves.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That must of been a bad yr for Boss my friend plow is the same way. He just put a ploy sheet over the whole mold board .
  7. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson Junior Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys. When I took my plow apart this past spring, i was just figuring on a simple sandblast and paint job, fix a few things and put it back together. Boy was I wrong. It rusted from the inside, almost completely hidden from view, and by the time I found it, it was pretty much to late to save. I though about cutting and welding new pieces in, but I felt that it was going to cost more than it was worth to go that route. I spent the summer looking for wrecked, damaged or used plows on the Internet, and my local salvage yards, but came up dry with any used wings that were in any better shape. It's a 9'2", and Boss isn't a big brand here so that didn't help either. If it wasn't mounted on a dual wheel 1 ton I could go with the 8'2" wings which are cheaper and easier to find. Anyway, I measured my center section, and here is what I found. The distance between the top and bottom tabs that hold the vertical hinge pin measure 22" inside to inside, and the hinge pin is 1 1/8" in diameter. Are these measurements similar to the new style plows? If so I'd like to go with the new style wings to prevent the rust problem from coming back. I don't mind a bit of cutting and grinding as long as the new parts are pretty close to fitting. Thanks.
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've had some rust issues on mine too. On the backside, there is a boxed section, its hollow inside. The slightest perforation lets salty crap in, and of course condensation and everything else. I've drilled holes in the backside of this box area and spray oil or fluid film inside, then replug the holes with plastic body plugs similar to what Rustcheck or Krown use. That oughtta hold back the rusties for a while! :D