1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rusted out head gear

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pmrcco, Aug 26, 2011.

1. pmrcco

pmrcco Junior Member

this plow was bought in 03, so its seen 7 seasons up here in boston area. It was hosed off every 2-3 storms with an ave. of about 10 -15 events per season. The tubing rotted from the inside out, very lite ga. maybe 14 if I'm lucky. Got some stock to fix and will post the repairs as I go.

Has anyone else seen this? or did I get a fri afternoon frame.

2. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Yeah we have a early 03 headgear rotted the same way
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

same problem prob as toyota and nissan truck/suv frames.

but biggest prob i have seen is lots of times the water gets in but no drain holes to let it all out. so it sits and rust from the inside out.

and in the rust belt i do NOT like powder coat . seen more rusted out stuff from that than reg old paint stuff.

good old rustoleum paint brushed or rolled on . but if sprayed do it thick and not there spray cans.
  4. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

i have a 2000 mm1 and my headgear is no where near that bad. I have some decent surface rust so I'm stripping/sanding and repainting with Rustoleum 5 coats. None of that crap powder-coating. I agree that it does nothing. i used the rustoleum rust converter on the heavy rust. Then used rusty metal primer. Then used Farm equipment grade John Deere Yellow for the final finish...all Rustoleum products.
  5. pmrcco

pmrcco Junior Member

The fix

So I finally got around to the repairs, used .25 bar stock 1.5 for the front and back and 2.5 for the side plates. Heres how it came out. Still need to send it out for sandblasting, but it wont rot again for many years.

Primed till it gets blasted

6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Looking good, never saw one that rusted around here
  7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

That looks awesome! Nice work