1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusted oil pan

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rb8484, Oct 24, 2009.

1. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I need to replace the rusted oil pan on our 2000 GMC 2500. It is the old body style if that helps. It has the 5.7 in it and was wondering if you have to jack up the motor to remove and replace the oil pan??
    Thanks for any advice in advance!!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the front diff out. Gives you all the space required then.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

That's the ticket. We just did that with one of our trucks, 1999 K2500. Worked perfect... the whole job really wasn't that bad at all.

4. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Perfect, thanks guys!

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Pull the diff. I did one on my 94 2500 I had with the 5.7 and it sucked. There is ALOT of stuff to disconnect and take out of the way to jack up the engine. Job took me total of 8 hours in my 3 season garage, lol. Getting the pan out with the diff there is no fun either. While you are in there, I suggest putting in a nice high volume oil pump. You may think it isnt necessary, but you wont have to deal with it down the line. That way you can put it in and not have to worry for a long time. Plus you look right at the pump once you pull the pan out. Very easy job to do.

One note: Do not throw the old pan gasket away if it is one of the GM metal/rubber ones. Clean it up and re-use it. It is not junk and 10,000x better than any cork one would be. I have seen way too many people just shyt can those gaskets.

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It won't hurt to put an oil pump in the engine, but it probably doesn't need one. If the engine has good oil pressure, then it's fine. If it doesn't have good oil pressure, then an oil pump alone won't help it anyway. If you do replace the pump, use a stock one... high volume pumps are for engines with higher capacity pans, and should never be used with a stock pan. The one piece gasket is definitely the one to use, but throw the old one away, you can buy a new one piece one from Fel Pro for $20.00, it's not worth risking a leak for $20.00. And, use silicone on the radiused ends of the gasket. Fel Pro part # for that gasket is OS34500R. It comes with some trick gadgets that hold the gasket in place while you put the pan back up... they're worth $20.00 alone! ;)

7. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Is this the way to go with an '88 too?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely. Including any T400 bodied truck regardless of year or body type (Suburban, Blazer etc).

9. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Thanks a lot, I seriously didn't want to jack the engine up.ussmileyflag