1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rusted Blade

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by CAT 245ME, Jan 30, 2008.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Hi, I recently bought a 91 GMC Sierra 1500 with a Fisher MM1 belt drivin plow and the plow works excellent but the only problem is the blade is rusted threw along the top and in one spot in front of a trip spring and has been patched up in few other areas.
    Has anyone else seen a blade rust threw, this is the first i've seen.

I would like to find an 8' fisher blade to replace the rusted one.
  2. big bird

big bird Senior Member

my old meyer did all i can say is re sheet wesport
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  3. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Wow! I can't believe you never saw a fisher rust through! :eek: I've had 3 rusty old ones with holes. I just keep buying them because I like how they plow. The new ones are supposed to be a bit better. Time will tell.

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Fluid Film, it's majic for metal, it would fill in the holes! LOL
  5. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

I once owned a 9' Fisher that had rust across the top. Reason was that the previous owner stored it face-down all year. The rain and salt residue just sat there. There are a lot of old Fisher plows around. The 8' is probably the most common. Watch the want ads here on Plowsite or the local papers. Strip the attachment hardware and bolt on the blade. Or buy a welder and a how-to book. You can also fill in the non-critical parts with an epoxy filler like JB Weld. But a low-mileage replacement blade is probably the cheapest option. I've seen them for $400-500.
  6. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Well the plow is 7.5' but I want an 8 footer, I serched all over last year for one and placed many want ads and never recieved one call.

Most plow trucks I see around here have 7.5' bades from 1/2 tons to 1 ton trucks.
    I dont understand why so many people purchase small plows for the larger trucks like 3/4 ton & 1 tons.
  7. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

If you find an 8 footer, check the width of the attachment ears. On the older Fishers, the 7'6 plows had a narrower frame. You might have to switch frames.