1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rust

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by andyman0291, Oct 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

i have some rust on the undercarriage, would it be worth it to sandblast, then put rust preventer on it?

2. karol

karol Senior Member

Talk to Grandview about rust. His got a few tricks up his sleeve for that...

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

fluid film
    amsoil metal protector.
    rustoleum
    misc. cans that might say undercoat on it.
    rhino liner
    i even used adhesive spray once from the craft department of a store. (it stuck too)

all depends on how much you care about the truck and what your willing to spend.

is the rust hurting anything?

4. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Ok, I have been instructed to shed some light by concerned members who are worried about the state of your undercoating.

Fluid Film is the answer to all your problems, my poor fellow. You could either apply Fluid Film over a rusty surface, where it will immediately stop any further corrosion, or sand it down and apply over a clean surface. Either way, your undercoating will be singing the praises of Fluid Film for months to come.

Trust me. Buy Fluid Film and join the club. There is a robe waiting patiently for you.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

PM Dano and he will probabily send you a sample can to try.
    You will be amazed.

6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I just coated the whole underside of my truck, and plow as well. The stuff is great.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have been working on the truck I just bought. The outside body is perfect. But the underside has a lot of rust spots. It was never undercoated ! I found that my power washer with a zero tip will take off the rust spots and rust blisters. I coat / paint with rust reformer then rustoleum gloss black and I will have the whole truck rust proofed in the future. Pay attention to your oil pan, brake and trans cooling lines. They rust out and cause you time or expense to have fixed. With just a few sprays of fluid film the problem will never happen.

8. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

How often do you guys put the Fluid Film on? Does a normal hose wash it off, and have to be reapplied everytime you wash the undercarriage? Just wondering if this stuff actually bonds to the metal or just coats it and rinses off?