1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

rust

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rufur, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Rufur

Rufur Junior Member

Do you have any good tips on combating rust on plow vehicles I recently went through a jiffy lube and they thought the truck had been in a flood

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Before the plowing season, spray the underside of the truck with diesel fuel and motor mix, and in the spring do the same. Of course follow all applicable enviromental guidelines.
    Dino

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Like what Dino was saying, you could also spray it with boiled linseed oil instead. Careful, the stuff isn't easy to get off once sprayed, and it can be messy. Don't get it on any exhaust pipes, or the stench of it burning will be unbearable!

~Chuck

4. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Keep it clean and don't park it next to a salt pile. I heard that just having the sodium in the air nearby will contribute to rust.

5. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Spray the uderside of the truck with Magic we spray our loaders with it and it works well keeping the rust at bay.

6. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Is that the same magic you spray on salt. Can you spray it with a regular backpack sprayer?

7. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Yeah its the same Magic which we spray salt with.I dont think a backpack sprayer will work because the tip is too small and it would probably clog.We use a Plastic spray bottle like a Fantastic spray bottle and it works well.The only down side is that its sticky and smells like beer.